First Time Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Getting both would defeat the purpose. One is a direct-fit 4way into my stock harness while the other is a combination 4, 5, and 7-blade plug that I wire in myself.

What I meant by getting both is, on the four way harness just cut the plug off and hook it into the 7way. So it plugs into your harness. You'll never have to worry if your splices are bad down the road.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the trailer you're buying is a flat four & your 7 pin is working pick up an adapter.I got mine at the rental yard where I rented a trailer to haul a truck & a SUV.Cost was about $20 IIRC.
Not buying the trailer, just borrowing it, from what I was told. And I was considering one of those as a quick fix if I dont get a permanent set up in time. I was supposed to have already been done with what I was supposed to do, but I havent been contacted to get started, so I still have time to button everything together.

What I meant by getting both is, on the four way harness just cut the plug off and hook it into the 7way. So it plugs into your harness. You'll never have to worry if your splices are bad down the road.
Oh, I see what you mean. I still need to do some looking to see how the 7-blade and 6-pole plugs are wired up, I might be able to work off of that. But I need to pull the receiver off to look at it better. What are the torque specs for a class IV (I think) hitch for a Suburban?

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, it finally got done. It wasnt that bad, until one of the eyelets on the tarp ripped out. That's when it got fun and I almost took out a Toyota with the trailer.
We made it within about a mile of our destination, so I'm in the left hand lane keeping an eye out for the turn, when I notice a lack of tarp in my rearview mirror. I knew the tarp with still back there because I could the flapping shadow, but I didnt want to lose anything off the trailer (we didnt know how much further we had to go). We decided that we needed to pull over and see what happened. I threw my blinker on and quintuple checked for clearance to merge over. Once I was comfortable that there was plenty of space (no cars in either side mirror, couldnt see behind the trailer through the rearview mirror) I started to move over. I glance forward to make sure I didnt have any cars pulling out/stopping in front of me when my buddy starts hollering woah woah woah and I look in the side mirror and I see some silver Toyota speeding up next to the back end of the trailer. We swerve back over and the little Toyota flies past us with it's young little driver with her nose in her phone. We start the process over again and finally make it over the find out one of the eyelets tore out of the tarp and we'd lost a bungee.

Wound up being almost 1300lbs of crap. Trailer was either 16x10 or 20x8. The 8x10 tarp covered about half.