First SAS questions

Difference between 77 ford dana 44 hd and the 78-79. Want to use Chevy 6 lug

• Direct swap

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmcs2000

Reaction score
First straight axle swap, I want to keep it 6 lug 1/2 ton. The problem is I want to use a ford f250 d44 axle but what is the difference between 77 axle and a 78-79? And how can I swap them into Chevy 6 lug pattern? I've looked on tons of forums for the difference between the two but all I found is the posibility of longer outer short shafts. Still doesnt answer the question of how to properly swap to chevy outers on the two different axles, any help is welcome !

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Thank you that helped alot. Is the fact that a 77 is low pinion bad for a 8 in lifted truck?

not necessarily, no....do you have the 77 and that's why you want to use it?

why are you lifting it 8"?
what's the purpose of the truck.....tire size?
what year truck are you starting with?
do you have a budget?

low pinion v. high pinion? set the pinion angle, build a proper drive shaft.....double cardon has it's good points.

there's more than a few ways to do it....such as this savy gent:
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/tech-88gmctrucks-budget-solid-axle-swap-build.945/

more if you haven't seen it:
http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=34

kinda need a bit more information...what you have to work with and what is your goal for the truck would be my first questions. there's a wrench for every nut, but first you need to know what the nut is......

if i ever do lift my truck, it will be a proper, well engineered 5" SAC for 35's....in 37 years i've never run or needed to run more than a 35....and the LEAST amount of lift to run them the better it suits MY goals.

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i know it's apples to oranges, but on all my 2nd gen trucks my combo of choice was 35's, 4.56's, 2 1/2-3" all spring lift and stratigic trimming to allow full articulation and "stuff"......i

i said 5" above, because the ORD kit gives a built in 4"and i'd build custom leaf packs that are stock +1" because i don't want negative arc springs.....i believe i'd use the ORD over the ORU because i've spoken to them on the phone (and was impressed)when i was going to build, my last truck, a 1990 K/5.....i never built it, but i did have custom Deaver 3" packs, Bilsteins and the Ford shock towers for that truck.....sold it all, but i still have the sway-bar disconnect kit. all my 4 wheeling would be considered technical, no dedicated mud or sand type stuff.....i build more of Camel Trophy styled trucks than a Big Foot.

hope this helps a bit.......and since i love to post this picture any chance i get, here it is again, my '86 Jimmy. my most favorite truck on her street tires.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: