First Magnaflow, Now Flowmaster and...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackSilverado98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IT'S STILL QUIET! Well the magnaflow was silent at idle, cruising, slow acceleration. The only time you could really here anything is if you really got on it. I wanted something louder so I went with a di/do flowmaster super 40. It is a little louder but no where near what I was hoping for. I don't really want to get the cats cut out because the cops are pretty strict around here but I may try and get some highflow cats. My set up now is all stock until cats then 2.5" out the back with duals and a di/do flowmaster super 40. I did hours of searching on youtube to find something I liked. I found the exact setup I have on my exact truck pretty much and mine sounds nothing like it.. I don't get it. Will it get louder after it breaks in?

Here is the videos I was going by.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu2zqJtOBSI&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLQkxEy_1c&feature=relmfu

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know where you're coming from man! The flowmaster isn't going to get much (if any) louder once its broke in. I don't think you're going to be happy with sound until you get your self a set of glasspacks. I originally installed a Thrush Welded muffler, and i ran that for the better part of a year. Then i took that one off and installed a 3" Glasspack, and i honestly couldn't be happier with my exhaust set up!

BlackSilverado98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know where you're coming from man! The flowmaster isn't going to get much (if any) louder once its broke in. I don't think you're going to be happy with sound until you get your self a set of glasspacks. I originally installed a Thrush Welded muffler, and i ran that for the better part of a year. Then i took that one off and installed a 3" Glasspack, and i honestly couldn't be happier with my exhaust set up!

You have any videos so I could hear yours? Most of the glasspack ones on youtube I didn't really care for.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
After a little while glasspacks become pretty much just like a straight through pipe. I have always heard high flow cats are kind of a waste on these trucks because the stock cats flow well enough. If you want loud your going to be illegal and there isnt't much way around it.

BlackSilverado98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After a little while glasspacks become pretty much just like a straight through pipe. I have always heard high flow cats are kind of a waste on these trucks because the stock cats flow well enough. If you want loud your going to be illegal and there isnt't much way around it.
Figures...haha But as far as the high flow cats, my stock ones have 196,000 on them so it couldn't really hurt to change them.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Figures...haha But as far as the high flow cats, my stock ones have 196,000 on them so it couldn't really hurt to change them.

They are probably clogged up which is why your not getting the sound you expect. Are you throwing any codes? P0420 by chance?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Flowmasters don't "Break in" There's no fiberglass packed in them.

If you want a loud deep idle that will turn heads, I think a good route is true dual straight pipes with flow masters dumped, no turn downs. Get the o2s tuned out so you wont have any problems at all with A/F ratios (Although most say the rear o2s don't cause that)

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Flowmasters don't "Break in" There's no fiberglass packed in them.

If you want a loud deep idle that will turn heads, I think a good route is true dual straight pipes with flow masters dumped, no turn downs. Get the o2s tuned out so you wont have any problems at all with A/F ratios (Although most say the rear o2s don't cause that)

Just gonna put this out there... dumped means it has tunrdowns on it. Otherwise it is just cut off.