Failed GA emissions test. Need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisj

Reaction score
Missed this thread the first time around and you've got some good advice in here, yet this caught my eye:

I'm assuming he manually pushed on the valve's diaphragm and the engine stumbled. This is not in any way an effective test of the EGR valve. All that is proven here is that the EGR passage isn't completely clogged with carbon.

Richard

Good to know. I think I'll replace the valve just to be sure. It looks to be very old anyway.

krisj

Reaction score
Good to know. I think I'll replace the valve just to be sure. It looks to be very old anyway.

Last edited:

krisj

Reaction score
UPDATE: I did everything I needed to do in preparation for passing the emissions test and was going to take it to the testing facility this week. I put all AC Delco tune up parts and all new egr components and checked to make sure egr passages were clear. A few days ago it developed a dead misfire and started preignition detonating.
I ran a compression test and found cylinders 3 & 5 have ZERO, 0, NADA, NO compression. A few cylinders were 120'ish and one was 95.
Looking for a engine now :-(

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
UPDATE: I did everything I needed to do in preparation for passing the emissions test and was going to take it to the testing facility this week. I put all AC Delco tune up parts and all new egr components and checked to make sure egr passages were clear. A few days ago it developed a dead misfire and started preignition detonating.
I ran a compression test and found cylinders 3 & 5 have ZERO, 0, NADA, NO compression. A few cylinders were 120'ish and one was 95.
Looking for a engine now :-(

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Hold on there chum.

0 psi on a compression test indicates a bad valve (burned or something stuck on the seat, etc) or perhaps a head gasket.

Worth your while to pop the head off for a looky see....

krisj

Reaction score
Hold on there chum.

0 psi on a compression test indicates a bad valve (burned or something stuck on the seat, etc) or perhaps a head gasket.

Worth your while to pop the head off for a looky see....

Yeah, I'm aware of what the readings indicate, however it's not as simple as just popping off the head and having a look. It's kind of a tossup on fixing this one or putting a good used engine in it for the time being. I have to juggle time and expenses. I'm thinking about getting a decent used engine and rebuild this one how I want it. This is my DD and can't have too much down time. I can throw a new timing set in a used motor and put in the truck in a day and be driving by evening.
This engine has 255,000 miles on it and I'm sure the rings are tired, too. I'm not impressed with any of the compression numbers either. Could also have flat cam. Will definitely need machine work on the heads at the minimum.
DRIVER SIDE #1/110 #3/0 #5/0 #7/115
PASSENGER SIDE #2/115 #4/90 #6/100 #8/125

My ol' lady's on my arse about getting it done quick, too. Decisions, decisions...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get her to hand you the wrenches as you git'r done!
Promise her a dinner out!
Quality time together! Win!
That is what we do!
You must be registered for see images attach

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is what we do!

Lol...my wifes quality time while I'm working on my truck is looking at NE out the window shaking her head..lol

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk