Faded paint help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Ive never wet sanded so I don't really trust myself, id probably really mess up the paint haha.
Have no fear! If you're using a high grit like Sky recommended (3000 grit) you'll be fine. Less is more. Sand just a little with very light pressure, then dry it and analyze your progress. It would take a good bit of pressure and a lot of work to burn paint with 3000 grit. I started out with 2000 grit. If I can do it, you can do it!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to Canadian Tire and found a Meguirs polishing attachment for a drill, $60. And they also have a meguirs compound package for $20. Is it worth the $80? I mean, I'm getting the pinstripes off and I can see noticeable fading which almost makes it seem like they are still there. Will these 2 things correct that do ya figure?

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
I went to Canadian Tire and found a Meguirs polishing attachment for a drill, $60. And they also have a meguirs compound package for $20. Is it worth the $80? I mean, I'm getting the pinstripes off and I can see noticeable fading which almost makes it seem like they are still there. Will these 2 things correct that do ya figure?
Don't waste your money on that garbage.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok.
I will see if I can't find some high grit paper tonight and Ill attempt wet sanding a little area and see what it looks like
So you basically just put water on and sand eh?

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok.
I will see if I can't find some high grit paper tonight and Ill attempt wet sanding a little area and see what it looks like
So you basically just put water on and sand eh?

Put a few drops of dish soap in a bucket of water and get a foam sanding pad. take a rag dip it in the water and squeeze it over where you want to sad and let it run down the panel and sand like that. The soap makes the sand paper slide and not stick. Or get a spray bottle with some water and a few drops of dish soap and use that to wet the panel where your sanding.

Harbor freight has a cheap buffer that doesn't work to bad I think they come on sale for $30. If your new to buffing use a foam pad its not as aggressive as a wool pad. Also stay away from edges you can burn an edge really fast.

Last edited:

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, seems easy enough. Now the "foam sanding pad" , do they come in 2000-3000 grit?

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, seems easy enough. Now the "foam sanding pad" , do they come in 2000-3000 grit?

No, its just a foam block u wrap the sand paper around, it just allows you to sand flat. If you put paper in your hand its not flat it follows the contour of your hand, You can also use a paint stick. The foam block is nice because you can use it as a squeegee to remove the water after you sand a certain area so you can see what your doing.

looks like this I think they are like 5 bucks at o'reilys
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
awesome, thanks everyone! I will look for materials and attempt soon, busy with other minor body details at the moment haha