Faded paint help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I decided to start removing the decals that are all over my '96, and I am using the wheel eraser that I picked up from a local auto store. Not the 3M, and it is actually a lot slower than i thought it would be. Seems like it doesn't catch very well.
Anyways, once I got some of it off I noticed that there was quite a noticeable shadow of it still embedded in the paint. I tried a little goo-gone over it since I thought it was maybe just glue residue but that had no affect.

What can I do to blend this or make it less noticeable? Would clay barring be the best bet? Thanks. Looking for something relatively cheap too.

joedee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be the cheapest route to clay bar or some of that 3m rubbing compound and a buffer..

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I am going to just clay bar

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Go ahead and clay bar it. If that doesn't work, some polish like joedee said. If you polish it you're going to want to clay bar first anyway, so make that your first attempt.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am having trouble getting some residue off my truck after I took off the silver ado emblem.

I used goo-gone, but I can get a thing of Goof-OFF. Which is better?

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Goof off is designed to take paint off of objects.....I wouldn't use it on a vehicle...

Goo Gone is much gentler, I've used it on automotive finishes when I had to in the past with no issue.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am having trouble getting some residue off my truck after I took off the silver ado emblem.

I used goo-gone, but I can get a thing of Goof-OFF. Which is better?

I'd recommend 3M adhesive remover in the black aerosol can. I've used it multiple times with great success.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I'd recommend 3M adhesive remover in the black aerosol can. I've used it multiple times with great success.

+1
clay bar wont do anything. get the residue off first. Sounds like what your talking a about is where the glue from the decals over time in the hot sun have etched the clear coat. At work i fix this by gently wet sanding with 3000 grit untill the outline of the decal is gone, then compound out the sanding marks then polish and seal it.

This same thing happens everytime you remove pin striping.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright thanks guys, Ill stay away from the Goof-Off, and see if I can't find some 3m adhesive remover somewheres.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive never wet sanded so I don't really trust myself, id probably really mess up the paint haha.