Extremely Long Crank, every start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW my TBI always cranked longer than my Vortec 350, but not the 10 seconds you're talking. When it got below zero it required a few pokes of the gas to keep it going for the first 10 seconds or so.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'm just an idiot (seems to be happening a lot lately with this truck) the starter was on its last leg. I swapped it out for a new unit and the hundreds I've spent on a higher output alt and a higher cranking amp battery were all a waste. With the new starter it fires up quicker than my 2010 avalon! My old starter sounded good to me but it was not spinning up nearly as fast as it should have been.

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
glad to know that was all it was and not something bigger! When i was back in highschool i had a 95 stepside that had a "rebuilt" engine in it. bought it from the used-dealer like that. took at least 25 seconds to start the damn thing. finally when the engine went a year later i pulled the timing cover and it was a tooth off! i called the dealer and they replaced the engine after an hour of me arguing with them lol

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Always helps when asking questions to give year, model, engine...also doesn't hurt to let us know miles.

I'll assume it's a 90 w/a gas engine based on your nick and sig pic. Most likely cause will be a cracked or pinholed hose attaching the fuel pump to the hardline on the sending unit, inside the tank. Over the years this hose goes bad. I've had to replace several for this exact reason. Of course while you have the bed off or the tank down you probably might as well just do the pump and sock (quality brand only; AC Delco or Delphi) and don't forget the frame rail filter, too.

Not saying this is the ONLY possible cause, just one I've run into more than once. I'd probably wait for others to chime in with suggestions though before tearing into a pump job.

EDIT - after reading your response on another thread I guess I should ask you to clarify. I'm assuming what you mean is the starter is turning the engine at a normal speed, it just takes a long time before it actually fires. Sometimes people use the terms crank/start/etc. in different ways.

Richard

I will have to give this a try on my old truck (89 with the 5.7) for it does take about 4 seconds to start. I have already replaced the starter and done a full tuneup on it. Guess it is time to get the fuel pressure test adapter installed on my truck, only had it for a year and a half now.

TO the OP Glad you found the problem being only the starter. Though the new starter on mine helped with the speed of rotation it did not help with the delay in firing up.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would still like to put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line... trying to find the right kit. If anyone has one installed on a TBI feel free to drop a link or part numbers.

Spack9

Reaction score
Glad to hear You got it fixed! I kinda figured after my camaro experience. It can fool the best of us. Took me couple of months to figure out I had a bad starter. Working on jets everyday seems to make me wanna skip the simple stuff in the troubleshooting phase.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would still like to put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line... trying to find the right kit. If anyone has one installed on a TBI feel free to drop a link or part numbers.
A current Actron part # would be CP7838 but that sucker is about $60 cheapest you'll find it, nearly $70 most places.

They had an older kit with a 60 psi gauge on it that was cheaper but it's been discontinued. I've got one new-in-package I'd sell for $40. It's the gauge along with the adapter fitting for TBI engines.

You don't need the 100 psi gauge that comes with the CP7838, but it could come in handy later if you needed to test a Vortec truck.

Richard

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A current Actron part # would be CP7838 but that sucker is about $60 cheapest you'll find it, nearly $70 most places.

They had an older kit with a 60 psi gauge on it that was cheaper but it's been discontinued. I've got one new-in-package I'd sell for $40. It's the gauge along with the adapter fitting for TBI engines.

You don't need the 100 psi gauge that comes with the CP7838, but it could come in handy later if you needed to test a Vortec truck.

Richard
Would def buy it if you can shoot me a pic or two?

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to hear You got it fixed! I kinda figured after my camaro experience. It can fool the best of us. Took me couple of months to figure out I had a bad starter. Working on jets everyday seems to make me wanna skip the simple stuff in the troubleshooting phase.

Your comment was the one that just made me say aw hell i might as well switch it out to make sure. Glad i did. Its been haunting me for years and years.