Exhaust Pops after installing headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToasyNut

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just installed some shorty headers and since then my exhaust has popped after accelerating quickly or revving. I just want to ask if this is normal or if I should be checking anything? I’ve read that an exhaust pop is usually due to too much fuel and/or not enough air. Thank you!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What exhaust gaskets did you use? A leak will often suck air into the pipes, adding oxygen to the hot fuel remnants, making pops and bangs.

Also, make sure you aren't running lean.

ToasyNut

Reaction score
What exhaust gaskets did you use? A leak will often suck air into the pipes, adding oxygen to the hot fuel remnants, making pops and bangs.

Also, make sure you aren't running lean.
I just had a muffler shop seal up the y-pipe to the headers, though I am running straight out of the car right now, could that be causing the pops?

ToasyNut

Reaction score
More likely leaks where the headers bolt to the engine.
This was the issue! I unfortunately did not remove the tabs that hold onto the spark plugs which were interfering with the header flange and the engine. Stupid mistake on my part but you live and you learn, got some new gaskets and got it sealed up.

ToasyNut

Reaction score
This was the issue! I unfortunately did not remove the tabs that hold onto the spark plugs which were interfering with the header flange and the engine. Stupid mistake on my part but you live and you learn, got some new gaskets and got it sealed up.
Spark plug wires*