exhaust help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdslay12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have stock manifolds into gutted vortec convertors, into glasspacks, into 20'' long tips. Gutting convertors helped alot with sound but at idle i still have a "whiff" sound instead of a deep rumble its like an air noise. Its hard to describe the sound. Anyway would putting a h pipe in it give it a deeper rumble? i dont want to quiet it at all either because its still not really loud enough IMO.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Since glasspacks are straight through they generally have a more raspy sound...if you want an old school rumble get a chambered muffler like a flowmaster or thrush welded

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also has a lot to do with the case lenght of the glasspack. As well as the diameter of the tubing the system is built with. What are the full specs of your system?

tdslay12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man....I honestly cant say full specs. I believe 2 1/4 in pipe. 18'' glasspacks.What im asking mostly is what would a H pipe do for sound and performance?

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An H pipe would balance out the pressure between the 2 head pipes. As for the sound difference i don't know. How far away are you from Waterloo Illinois? I'm only a few miles away and if you were close enough I'd be willing to met up with you and show you my cherry bomb vortec muffler. It's got a really low deep sound to it that impressed me for how cheep it was.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Man....I honestly cant say full specs. I believe 2 1/4 in pipe. 18'' glasspacks.What im asking mostly is what would a H pipe do for sound and performance?

If you're not changing anything else, an H-pipe won't do a whole lot. It may free up a couple ponies by balancing out the banks and I've heard that it keeps your exhaust from "popping" but just the h-pipe wont change your sound too much. The best way to change the sound is to get new mufflers

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep the true duals,i had a h pipe and hated the sound true duals with no crossover sound way better imo,And the sound at idle is from the restricted manifolds had the same sound before i put headers on it.

tdslay12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An H pipe would balance out the pressure between the 2 head pipes. As for the sound difference i don't know. How far away are you from Waterloo Illinois? I'm only a few miles away and if you were close enough I'd be willing to met up with you and show you my cherry bomb vortec muffler. It's got a really low deep sound to it that impressed me for how cheep it was.
Im about 2 and a half hours away...im bout 20 minutes from Davenport. I think i may change the mufflers. or just get some headers. I personally dont care for headers because I had a set of them before and it seemed they would leak every month.

tdslay12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TO johndeere4240. nevermind Im almost five hours away. I didnt see the waterloo illinois i though you meant Iowa lol

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I don't think either of us want to drive 2.5 hours to meet up and show off our exhaust. With my dual exhaust set up the muffler is dual in and dual out which I would say acts like a cross over. The tail pipes are 2.5 inch, I would like to make it 3 inch but that's pricy and is already a low deep sound the way it is. With in the next few months I hope to set it up to go out in front of my tires with some custom 3.5 inch dual tips. But that's gona be a while.