Exhaust and tune help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just came back from a camping trip in Colorado and I need to do some upgrades for performance. I have a 1998 GMC Yukon 4wd, bone stock, no performance upgrades at all. So I’m thinking full exhaust, headers to tailpipes, then a tune. Been seeing a lot about magnaflow highflow cats and mufflers with H pipe. Would prefer a setup I can bolt in myself as opposed to having it welded in but not a dealbreaker. As far as headers go I’m thinking shortys but I don’t know specifics, I guess I need to hear from someone that has actually done it and knows the part numbers etc..
As for the tune, I need something easy to use, reversible, and inexpensive. I’ve looked over a few tuning setups but most are only for 1999 and up. I like the Superchips 2815, but it’s old, outdated, and doesn’t have much support. I need something that can adjust speedo and gearing and offer different power options like economy, towing, and hi performance. I know I’m asking a lot but I want to hear from someone who has experience with these things as I have very little. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As far as the tune, I would forget about the handheld programmers. They're all garbage compared to a real tune. Get in touch with Black Bear Performance. They can do whatever you want with free alterations for life, you just pay shipping.

As for the exhaust, you're on the right track. If you want something that bolts right in you're going to want shorty headers. Long tubes won't line up with anything factory and will definitely require fabrication in the rest of the system. No one I'm aware of makes a dual kit with an H-pipe, but there are plenty of nice bolt in cat-back kits on the market. I run a Gibson kit on my red truck.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just came back from a camping trip in Colorado and I need to do some upgrades for performance. I have a 1998 GMC Yukon 4wd, bone stock, no performance upgrades at all. So I’m thinking full exhaust, headers to tailpipes, then a tune. Been seeing a lot about magnaflow highflow cats and mufflers with H pipe. Would prefer a setup I can bolt in myself as opposed to having it welded in but not a dealbreaker. As far as headers go I’m thinking shortys but I don’t know specifics, I guess I need to hear from someone that has actually done it and knows the part numbers etc..
As for the tune, I need something easy to use, reversible, and inexpensive. I’ve looked over a few tuning setups but most are only for 1999 and up. I like the Superchips 2815, but it’s old, outdated, and doesn’t have much support. I need something that can adjust speedo and gearing and offer different power options like economy, towing, and hi performance. I know I’m asking a lot but I want to hear from someone who has experience with these things as I have very little. Thanks in advance!

I have tuned probably 30 of these trucks with the Black box and the 0411.

Headers and a full exhaust will definately help wake these trucks up. With the stock heads, stock cam and stock intake manifold there is little point to go more than 2.25" duals with a good crossover. Hooker makes a good 2.25" system that worked well with their long tubes on my brothers 1999 Suburban. I picked headers for a 1988-1995 TBI truck and deleted the EGR at the same time. Added 2 02 sensor bungs in the collectors. Then used a set of high flow cats with 02 sensor extenders.

Last edited:

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as the tune, I would forget about the handheld programmers. They're all garbage compared to a real tune. Get in touch with Black Bear Performance. They can do whatever you want with free alterations for life, you just pay shipping.

As for the exhaust, you're on the right track. If you want something that bolts right in you're going to want shorty headers. Long tubes won't line up with anything factory and will definitely require fabrication in the rest of the system. No one I'm aware of makes a dual kit with an H-pipe, but there are plenty of nice bolt in cat-back kits on the market. I run a Gibson kit on my red truck.

Ok so black bear performance, so on the exhaust it’s not an H pipe but a Y pipe then? I just want more flow, what Gibson kit did you get?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok so black bear performance, so on the exhaust it’s not an H pipe but a Y pipe then? I just want more flow, what Gibson kit did you get?

In your situation with the bolt on kits there's not going to be a crossover pipe at all, really. The 5.7L trucks have both sides running into the muffler, then they either come out as one or two tail pipes.

My red truck with the Gibson kit is a V6, so the routing and part numbers will be different from what you want.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have tuned probably 30 of these trucks with the Black box and the 0411.

Headers and a full exhaust will definately help wake these trucks up. With the stock heads, stock cam and stock intake manifold there is little point to go more than 2.25" duals with a good crossover. Hooker makes a good 2.25" system that worked well with their long tubes on my brothers 1999 Suburban. I picked headers for a 1988-1995 TBI truck and deleted the EGR at the same time. Added 2 02 sensor bungs in the collectors. Then used a set of high flow cats with 02 sensor extenders.

I put a set of Hooker long tubes and their kit on my truck. It has no built in crossover and it needs offset mufflers to avoid the passenger rear shock. It goes on really good though, and if you have a welder you could weld it up and toss on a crossover like nobody's business.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So here’s what I found as far as exhaust, any problems with these?
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks good to me. I have a really similar setup on my red truck. I run a Magnaflow intermediate pipe and cats as well, it's really nice compared to the factory one.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They should have those same cats available for the 1-ton 350s. The piping is much larger on the higher GVW stuff.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well no such luck. The pipes on that magnaflow look like they are the OEM 1 7/8".