Excess end play..what do I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackSilverado98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I jacked up the truck today to install the centers on my wheels because I removed them for the winter so they wouldn't get rusty. Anyway, I was getting ready to take off the rear passenger side wheel and noticed a lot of in and out play in the axle. I know I have read that some play is acceptable but there is quite a bit. I every now and then hear a slight rattle when going over some bumps in the rear too. So what would cause this? I didn't have time to look at it any further but I am going to tear it apart tomorrow and hope to resolve it. Any ideas what causes excess play like this??

NAST96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry but some specs on the truck would help a little more.. i.e. motor, half ton, 3/4 ton etc.. How much play are we talking? Is it just when you pull and push on the axle? or is it up and down also?

Anything can cause wear, hot rodding, inadequite care, to big of tires, towing, you name it. i see you said you were tearing it apart "today" so i was wondering if you found anything out of the ordinary? Shavings, wear on the axle shaft, bad seal ect.