evanalmighty726's 92 ECSB Chevy Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well it looks like a nice truck on the outside but it does have rust. The cab corners are the worst especially the passenger side. The driver side rear fender is starting to bubble also. I'd like to do the work myself but I don't have any bodywork experience at all and anyone I know has limited experience. I also don't have a suitable work area either. I went to a local auto body shop I toured in high school and got an estimate, but I didn't really like his idea of just slapping some fender flares on it. He said he could do the cab corners and half ass the fenders for 3k. So I went to the local stealership next where I use to detail cars as one of my high school jobs. I heard people say that the body guy there is really good and I believe that he is. He took a look at my truck and wrote down all the parts he would need. He said there was two different ways he could fix the rear fender, either patch that bad spot or cut the whole bedside off... I'm not sure what way to have it done or even if I have enough money. I'm waiting for him to call me with a price. I might have to wait until I start working again to afford it.
You must be registered for see images

A power steering line is leaking too.

I had a little air horn laying around so I decided I might as well use it on something so I slapped it in quick. It just uses the factory horn wires. Probably the most retarded thing on my truck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Took off my valance. I personally think it looks better without it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well the dealership called me with a price to fix all the rust on my truck. They said it would be a total of around $2,300. It would be $1600 for the cab corners alone and then $700 for patching the rear fender. It would be a lot more if they were to cut off the entire bedside, so I think it would be more reasonable to just do a patch since most of the bedside is still good. I don't have any knowledge about bodywork pricing and such but $2300 seems reasonable to me. It's well within my budget too :) I'm probably going to sit around and think about it for a day or two, I might ask around at some other nearby body shops too.
Here's a cool pic I took when messing around in some hay fields today.
You must be registered for see images attach

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
From what I've heard if you patch the panel instead of the bedside, the lip from the panel is a place for rust to start. Not a big deal in the short term, but years depending on salt usage it may be a problem.

Reaction score
From what I've heard if you patch the panel instead of the bedside, the lip from the panel is a place for rust to start. Not a big deal in the short term, but years depending on salt usage it may be a problem.
Ah I see, thanks for the info. Once all the rust is fixed I'm probably going to park it for the winters from now on.

Reaction score
I doubt it would surface for a few years, but personally if you patch it I would put the flares on and use so good rust stop paint/primer to make sure it lasts.
The guy I talked to said they would use some kind of rust stop paint on it so hopefully it holds up for a long time. I don't really like the way fender flares look but if rust does show up in a few years I probably won't want to pay to have it fixed again so I would throw on the flares then.