engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im trying to decide on what motor to run with my project im stuck between tbi and carb because both have features i like, if i run tbi im keeping my 4L60E trans. but if i run carb im using a TH400. right now the tie breaker is down to the serpentine set up, if i were to run a carb would there be a possibility to keep the serpentine belt drive? and also how would i go about hooking anything still needing a computer like the gauges?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
use the tbi block, even if you are going carb, serpatine can be kept, search, I have made a whole how to on TBI-Carb swap.

Picture of my engine, 1989 TBI 350 Block, Vortec heads, Victor intake, Demon 650
You must be registered for see images

a TH350 long shaft is a direct swap for a 4L60E, thats what i would be using.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you can still run serpentine on a carb block. as for which blocks, are they apart or anything? take them in or you can with some calipers and such but see which of the two is the better option for what you want. guages can just be run back and will work.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
you can still run serpentine on a carb block. as for which blocks, are they apart or anything? take them in or you can with some calipers and such but see which of the two is the better option for what you want. guages can just be run back and will work.

most carb blocks would be 2 piece main and not roller ready.

most TBI blocks are one piece main, roller ready.

i would be picking the tbi one, if it isnt screwed.

chevyman("

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use the tbi block throw a roller cam in it and make it carbed and use the serpentine system and ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the carb block i have as an option is a 4 bolt main, thats all my dad will keep and hes giving me one to build up, and the tbi block i would get is a bone stock fresh out of our 88 motor that needs a full rebuild, if i can just swap over the serpentine setup thats what ill end up doing because my dad talks highly about 4 bolt and anything else hes told me to do always held up

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Unless your pushing 450hp, no need for 4 bolt.

I would rather have a nice tighter more modern 2 bolt TBI block then a old style prone to leak 4-bolt

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
arent the heads diffrent from a old school carb to the tbi? im pretty sure there both baisicly the same block but i always though they were at a little diffrent angle compared to each other. what is all the diffrences between the two anyway beside the fact of carb and tbi?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
arent the heads diffrent from a old school carb to the tbi? im pretty sure there both baisicly the same block but i always though they were at a little diffrent angle compared to each other. what is all the diffrences between the two anyway beside the fact of carb and tbi?

TBI blocks had a one piece rear main, some were roller ready, some can use a fuel pump some cant, crank is completely different on the back (better design, less leaks) heads had center bolt covers for better sealing, the middle two bolts on the heads are at a different angle, but nothing a die grinder cant deal with.

Carb blocks (excluding 1986), had 2 piece rear main (Known to leak), none were roller ready, heads had perimeter bolt valve covers which are known to leak.

One Peice rear main

Two Peice rear main

both together

If you are set on using a 4-bolt main (which is really a joke, 2-bolt is just fine), TBI blocks did come with 4-bolt mains, my current block is a 1989 638 Casting, 4-bolt main, Fully ready for roller and fuel pump. 4-bolts are more common in heavy duty trucks, mine is out of a 1989 V20 Suburban (73-87 style, not 88-98 style)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LilCVY