Engine Poll

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
like everyone has said. the LSx motors are a long run saver but a lot of work up front. a 383 with a good RV cam is a really good torq producer and i've always had success with them. i put 150k on two of them with no issue. you start jacking the HP up and the surviveability suffers some. i'm a firm believer in longevity

Swackhamer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did the 6.0 route. I feel it was a good choice, Im getting at least as good milage and more power than the 5.7 (stock tune).It was more work upfront for sure. But in no way what I would call hard.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Depends on a lot of things. Are you looking for something your 350 doesn't have?
Personally I have a Vortec 350 and get 21 mpg on the highway unloaded, and when I'm working it I've got enough power to pass newer trucks while hauling over a ton in the bed.

Sure, there are better motors out there, but this one does everything I want it to.
Just my 2 cents, my guess is you probably know what you want already, so if you can afford it, go for it! You only live once.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
LM7 5.3l swap... zero question. I'm in the early stages of doing the same swap on my tired TBI

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
-Rebuilt L31 is around $1,500
-383 with a truck cam will run you around $2,000 if you carefully shop around
-From what I've priced out, LSx is at least $3,000 to get running right if you shop around carefully

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
-Rebuilt L31 is around $1,500
-383 with a truck cam will run you around $2,000 if you carefully shop around
-From what I've priced out, LSx is at least $3,000 to get running right if you shop around carefully

i've never spent more than 1k on building a 383. and that was purchasing a brandnew crank, rods, and carb. a l31 is cheap, but you've got alot more work to put it in as well as a wireing harness and ECM and Tune. if you can turn a wrench and put parts together you can build a 383 cheapest and it'll fit right in. only one i did with anything from the L31 was a set of heads that i ran a carb on. i liked it alot but it drank fuel. it also put out about 425hp.... so that wasn't so much fun putting gas in. if you've got a L31 set up already you can stick with that and get great results. if you have a TBI set up, i think a 383 is really cheap to do. LSx is freakin awsome but a TON of work to pull off... more than i care to do anyway.