Engine died doing 70

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crxlvr

Reaction score
Ok i haven't pulled the codes but the shop "said" they changed fuel pump and filter. Tps, maf, and distributor module. Never heard of this one. He only charged me for the pump and filter.

The symptoms as of now include:
Misfires, stumbling while idle, stumbling while driving, sudden gust of acceleration after sluggishness, truck will stall out then re gurgle itself back to life 90% other 10 I have to turn key manually, truck will stall at highway speed, I throw into neutral and will fire right back up.

When it happened the first time I got loud backfiring as well.

Could the cat be clogged causing the sluggishness? IAC? Egr? I'm lost with this now

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have the ignition control module tested, I know auto zone does it, I'm sure the other chains probably do too

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ignition control module has been mentioned a lot on this thread, every tbi vehicle I've owned did what you are describing at some point and that was the problem every time.

Remove dist cap, remove 2 wire connectors and 2 screws and walk into any parts store, thats the worst component on a tbi motor if you ask me. Easy to change and test, and good thing, because it seems to fail often.

If it tests good have them test it again. If it tests bad only replace it with an AC Delco part, and test the new one before you leave.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
I wonder if a fuel injector and loading up the engine with fuel. He said the distributor module was changed, but you should have it checked anyway. Also if the fuel pressure regulator is bad, no amount of fuel pumps will help.

Have the module checked, and check the fuel pressure. Also, use a flashlight at night and check the spray pattern of both fuel injectors. Should be an even fan out all around. If there are any drips, you need the replace the inectors.

crxlvr

Reaction score
I will Def check the icm. The mechanic said to have the injectors flow tested but last I saw they did have a nice pattern, no dripping. But I will look again. Thanks for all these great tips guys. I love forums

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Backfired through the exhaust or intake?

Try swapping your ignition coil with a known good one.

techweenie

Reaction score
I have had a few different vehicles with similar symptoms to yours. My 1994 Blazer had the same symptoms for two very different reasons. The first was a bad engine wiring harness. Didn't figure that out until someone riding with me accidentally kicked the computer which was dangling out of the dash. The second time was a bad fuel injector wire harness. Another vehicle I had was doing that because an ignition wire was grounding on the engine block. In every case it was an electrical problem. I would thoroughly check all your ignition wires by misting water on them in the dark, then move on to sensor connectors and testing for open circuits. For what it's worth, I've also had a bad coolant temp sensor cause surging and rough running on a Fiero.