Dyno testing for the masses!

Would you be interested in seeing individual speed modification tested on the Dyno?

• Yes! I would even be willing to donate some money/parts to make it happen.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • That would be cool but I don't care either way.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! How dare you use these forums to try and crowd fund some stupid idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So on a thread I recently posted, a conversation started that boiled down to this.

Person 1: This modification works grate.
Person 2: I don't think it dose.
Person 1: Here is a book theory as to why it works.
Person 2: I won't believe it till I see a Dyno sheet to prove it.
Person 1: Her is a dyno sheet for the same product on a different vehicle.
Person 2: That dose not mean anything, it is not on the same vehicle.

So on and so on. I am certain everyone has see a conversation like this on the boards some were. Both sides have a point and it all stems from the fact that no one has tested the mods we all do to our trucks on a Dyno, or if they do they do like six things all at once and show off the improvement. No one has spent the time or the money to do a base line then change one part and see what that dose, then the next one, and so on.

So here is my question and proposition. Is any one interested in seeing this done and if so would you be willing to help pay for or donate part (they would be returned after testing if possible) to make it happen? I am willing to do the work. Spending my own time and money on the project but I am not going to be able to afford it on my own and if there is no real interested in the info then I see no point in spending the time on it.

Please answer the survey and if there appears to be enough interest I will take the next step in making it happen. Also please let me know what you would like to see tested and if you have parts to donate to the cause what they are. Thanks.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As I said in the other thread, I'd absolutely be interested! I don't have any TBI parts (or own any TBI trucks) unfortunately, so I wouldn't be able to donate anything you could test. I could definitely kick in a few bucks in the name of science, though.

Reaction score
As I said in the other thread, I'd absolutely be interested! I don't have any TBI parts (or own any TBI trucks) unfortunately, so I wouldn't be able to donate anything you could test. I could definitely kick in a few bucks in the name of science, though.
Thanks df2x4. I figured you would. Lets hope others will as well.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only issue I see with this is that dynos do not show partial throttle gains which is where a lot of easy little modifications tend to help with.

Example; I got my ass chewed by this forum when I went to an open element filter "because the hot air kills power" when the real gain of power was felt in the quarter to half throttle range. By the way, I still say it is better than the stock and I fully believe I lost 0 power in any part of the rev range or throttle position.

That being said I don't think it would be economically viable to individually dyno test mods that are super cheap or free.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The only issue I see with this is that dynos do not show partial throttle gains which is where a lot of easy little modifications tend to help with.

Example; I got my ass chewed by this forum when I went to an open element filter "because the hot air kills power" when the real gain of power was felt in the quarter to half throttle range. By the way, I still say it is better than the stock and I fully believe I lost 0 power in any part of the rev range or throttle position.

That being said I don't think it would be economically viable to individually dyno test mods that are super cheap or free.

I personally observed a great deal of timing being pulled on the laptop when I removed the lid on my airbox (Vortec). The MAP sensor indicated very slight gains above 3000 RPM, with zero gains below but again significantly increased IAT with timing being pulled.

Reaction score

Reverend Mike I agree with you about the part throttle issue. However there is no way, as of yet, to test part throttle gains in a "scientific way", and I use that term loosely. A dyno is all we have to work with and by looking at the torque curve you can get an idea of how it will perform under part load.

As for your open element, a dyno test will show if there is any losses to be had. I for one believe you will see some small gains over stock due to less restriction. Along with some better MPG (warmer air is more efficient. Hyper mileage guy do hot air intakes all the time). You want see any real losses until the engine bay is heat soaked and that is not likely to happen unless you are idling for a long time or you live in an area that sees 100 degree days all the time.

As for "economically viable", it is. you just have to do more then one thing in a dyno session. You pay by the hour most of the time and as long as you can swap stuff out quickly (that meant doing it before hand to know what you are doing) you can get a lot done in 1-2 hours. It the same way all the magazines do it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As for your open element, a dyno test will show if there is any losses to be had. I for one believe you will see some small gains over stock due to less restriction. Along with some better MPG (warmer air is more efficient. Hyper mileage guy do hot air intakes all the time). You want see any real losses until the engine bay is heat soaked and that is not likely to happen unless you are idling for a long time or you live in an area that sees 100 degree days all the time.

This is 100% incorrect. My observations were made in March in South Dakota with snow on the ground. Perhaps the flow increase outweighs the timing pulled on a TBI engine, but to say you're not affected until 100 degree weather is just inaccurate.

Reaction score
This is 100% incorrect. My observations were made in March in South Dakota with snow on the ground. Perhaps the flow increase outweighs the timing pulled on a TBI engine, but to say you're not affected until 100 degree weather is just inaccurate.
I am not debating what you saw. I gave my opinion. I do not know your truck or how you performed this diagnostic and all of this is off topic. My point is such things could be tested on the dyno and that is the hole point of what I am trying to do.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're not going to see underhood temps on a dyno though. If you were to datalog a TBI engine, observe the difference in airflow and IAT, then replicate that on the dyno you'd have irrefutable proof. The next best thing is to gather data on the laptop. I differentiated that mine is a Vortec on the off chance a TBI intake is that much more restricted that the difference in airflow outweighs the timing pulled from IAT. I have not seen an IAT map on a TBI engine.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After winter is over I might sell or part out my 4x4 Tbi truck and fix up my vortec 2wd truck. If I do I might loan the hypertec powercharger. The truck definitely seemed to like to rpm better with it but dyno results would be cool.