Drum brake help on 1997 k2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He's talking about axle saver bearings for the 8.5. Totally different then what you have. The axle seal is much like a front wheel bearing seal on your rear end. Be careful what you believe on the internet. Well meaning people with little experience can cost you a lot of cash.

This guy makes a much bigger deal out of it then it needs to be but it gives you an idea of what has to be done.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Good luck on getting all that oil cleaned up. It can be done but it's a huge PITA. I absolutely hated when these came into the shop.

If you were referring to me re the axle saver bearings yes they are not necessary for the job but it was all that was available locally when I had to do it. It's not what came on the trucks no, but they are definitely made for them.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
If you were referring to me re the axle saver bearings yes they are not necessary for the job but it was all that was available locally when I had to do it. It's not what came on the trucks no, but they are definitely made for them.

They are not made for the OP's truck and that's what is being discussed here. The 8.5 and the 9.5 are completely different animals. I'm trying to keep the guy on track for HIS truck.

Macak22

Reaction score
Sorry for not replying for so long. Had to take a break from the pickup for other things. I live in the path of the eclipse and damn I've never seen so many people in this middle of nowhere place.

So thanks for all the suggestions and advice and whatever. I do appreciate it. I finally started back on it yesterday and have the bearings and everything out, what a PITA. I need a press. But I got parts on the way for tomorrow morning and I should have it buttoned up by Friday morning. I hope anyway, going camping and it's just better with a pickup. I'm almost done on cleaning up the oil. and basically just cleaning up till I get the parts. I'll try to update after it's back on the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
98 Money Pit