Issues with drum brake roll pins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheNewGuy

Reaction score
I have a 1998 GMC Sierra and just had one of the roll pins fall out of its hole in the brake shoe. The other side looked like it was about to fall out.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1998 GMC Sierra and just had one of the roll pins fall out of its hole in the brake shoe. The other side looked like it was about to fall out.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
You talking about brake shoes with a riveted friction? If on the verge of falling apart they need replaced. Rust, crust, and age matters. Not really sure what is being described as a roll pin.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have the shytty 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe rear brakes.

They're junk.

Pound the roll pin back in, hope it stays put this time. Make sure the park brake works, and USE IT REGULARLY. Nobody uses the park brake, and that's what keeps the rear shoes in adjustment.

Ideally, you'd find either a 2500 6-lug axle of the correct gear ratio to swap in--which gets you the MUCH-better 11.x Duo-Servo rear brakes; or you find a Treasure-yard 1500 Tahoe or Suburban with the 11.x rear brakes to swap in.

TheNewGuy

Reaction score
I'm actually having problems with my parking brake right now. The pedal only goes until it's flush with the door frame and the right brake doesn't engage. The right side used to work fine, but since the mechanic I'd taken the truck to had it, it has not worked. I had him replace the left parking brake cable and I think it's the reason the pedal isn't going as far as it used to.

I'd like to have duo-servo drum brakes, but I don't have the skill to do it myself, or the money to have someone else do it.

Isn't there something that I could do to prevent the roll pins from sliding out? I tried putting the one back in that had fell too far out of place, but it felt so loose. I'm not confident that just putting them back in will solve the problem.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can check with the " Raybestos " Web site, there produce kits with new hardware, and small hardware pieces for brake repairs. That's what I would try first. There the ones I purchased by new drum hardware for my 93 K1500.

Mikes98

Reaction score
The shoes are often rebuilt ...basically new friction material is riveted onto used shoe frames. The pin hole may have worn over time to a point it's just a bit too big for the roll pin to stay put. You can try swapping the shoes since the leading/trailing drum brake system uses identical shoes fore and aft.

TheNewGuy

Reaction score
I had everything replaced about a year ago. I just bought some new roll pins and am going to put them in tomorrow