Dreaded intake manifold leak...I think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just getting ready to do the gaskets for the second time in 4 years. Think I will do the MPFI upgrade and dizzy while I am in there. Hopefully it goes faster this time.

What are the current prices for having a mechanic do the work?

Are you using the upgraded intake gaskets? I believe the all-rubber gaskets are still out there. Are you torquing everything to specs? The Felpro have a sequence for tightening (fastener sequence and stages of increasing torque.) Torque is in-lbs on the first passes, so you definitely need a 1/4 torque wrench. Final pass is ft-lb, so you have to convert in-lb to ft-lb. Lastly, are you cleaning mating surfaces very well?

Sounds odd that they would go out so fast. I mean, if the original all-rubber ones from the factory last 80,000-200,000 miles, then seems logical that the rubber/metal composite ones would last at least that long too. I did the original gaskets on my 4.3 at 230,000 miles, and now at 255,000 miles, and that was my first real "mechanics" job.

I don't know prices, but guess around here a shop would charge $400-$600 on the low range.

Good luck.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I followed all the instructions. Followed the service manual, the sheet that came with the Felpro gaskets, and stuff I read here. Maybe I didn't put a very good bead of silicone down in the valley or maybe my torque wrench is out of wack. Maybe the junkyard intake I used is warped. Oh well.