Door latch lube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As needed I lube the door hinges with white lithium grease, can you do the door latches with that too or use something else?

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
thats what i use, always works. just wipe off the extra

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always used motor oil. Every time I've purchased another vehicle, every hinge, latch, striker, etc.... gets shot with brake cleaner and then a few drops of motor oil (20w-50). Lithium in a can has never stayed put for me and doesn't seem to ever stay. I've used it on hinges and headlight linkages... and about 6mo later I'm re-lubbing.

Come to think of it, I think I may buy another oil can and put some lucas oil stabilizer or thick gear oil in it for latches. That'd probably last an eternity.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only thing with the gear oil is that it has that heavy smell... Not sure why it bugs me.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only thing with the gear oil is that it has that heavy smell... Not sure why it bugs me.

It's the sulfur in the lube. Smells like rotten eggs. I'd imagine the grape stuff from GM would probably work well for you... but at $30/qt its probably not a selling point for you.

Lucas oil stabilizer may work... if you can find an oil can that will pump it and you've got strong enough hands.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
i hit all my moving parts once a year anyway, so if the lithium wears off, not a big deal for me. All part of the spring time 'all over tune-up'