Door card insert Material change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarKist

Reaction score
I grew up w/ family JY in SE USA --- no spring chicken --- all i ever heard/used "door panel" --- until some UK-based used car flipper shows turned up on cable. Dunno, seems David Vizard calling NC home these days; but he's a motor pro not bodywork.
Lived here my whole life 57 yrs old been working on anything with a gas-peddle or throttle since I changed out the throttle cable on my first motorcycle (Honda XR75) when I was 7yrs old, and have called them door panels also, again sorry for the confusion!

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh sorry the “inside door panel” 96 accent velour piece around the door handle. Sorry for the confusion
You’re good. Don’t apologize for using a different but still incredibly common phrase my guy. I tried getting one of those off at a yard once, they are glued on. I didn’t mess with it too much because I didn’t want to break the whole thing. His panel almost looks dyed. Not sure. @WICKD98 any input on this?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll bet you could glue and lay fabric right over that and tuck it in…me thinks.
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking. But I just wanted to if someone had tackled that before and there process.
Having had the door panel off my crew cab recently... IIRC the piece that has the velour glued to it, has staples holding it to the plastic, that are folded down on the backside of the panel. Also, if you decide to cover this piece, be advised that the covering material shouldn't be too thick, or the plastic trim that snaps around the inside door handle won't fit properly. This trim also helps retain the door panel so it needs to fit correctly.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having had the door panel off my crew cab recently... IIRC the piece that has the velour glued to it, has staples holding it to the plastic, that are folded down on the backside of the panel. Also, if you decide to cover this piece, be advised that the covering material shouldn't be too thick, or the plastic trim that snaps around the inside door handle won't fit properly. This trim also helps retain the door panel so it needs to fit correctly.
I must’ve missed the staples on the one I had apart. Thanks for the info!

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to take the insert off to cover it? or do you just strip and recover it on the card. Your input/help is greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty sure the cloth panel attaches to the door panel with tabs or possibly clips. It's been a while since I detached mine. Here's a couple of pictures of the door panel without the cloth covered panel attached.

Attachments

• 20240429_145028.jpg
    20240429_145028.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240429_145021.jpg
    20240429_145021.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 14

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the cloth panel attaches to the door panel with tabs or possibly clips. It's been a while since I detached mine. Here's a couple of pictures of the door panel without the cloth covered panel attached.
I came across the cloth covered panel, it uses clips.

Attachments

• 20240429_194828.jpg
    20240429_194828.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 11