Don't waste the $50 for a B&M or $120 for a TCI electronic shift improver.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
My neighbor bought the B&M version of the electronic shift kit. I tested the box with an ohm meter and found out that it is just a set of overly expensive resistors. Position one read around 27 ohms and position two read at 5.6 ohms. After looking at the instructions and the 411 swap sheet posted on FSC (a huge thanks to who ever made that spread sheet, it helps in so many ways) I found out all the switch does is fool the computer to think the fluid pressure is low during the shifts. This makes the transmission increase the pressure in the shifts and makes the "harder" shifts.

:evillol: Time to introduce the $3 transmission shift kit. All you need is a pair of 10 watt, 10 ohm resistors sold at RadioShack for $3. When wired in a series the add up to 20 ohm's, just a little firmer than the position one on the B&M. This is what I have used on my 4L60-E Tahoe for the past month. It works great.

If you have a black box PCM, which is stock on the 96-00 Vortec's, the resistor needs to be spliced between pin 6 and pin 16 of the white connector on the PCM (top right when looking from the engine.) To make it shift harder, you could even install a switch which would give you the option to use only one resistor of 10 ohms. The 10 ohm was two stiff for me so I just left it at 20 ohms.

PC Solenoid High - red/black - C3, Pin 6 (411 PCM: C2, Pin 6)
PC Solenoid Low - lt. blue/white - C3, Pin 16 (411 PCM: C2, Pin 8)

Last edited:

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will this work on a 94 with a 4L60E? If it will work are the wires the same color & in the same postion in the connector?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It may work but the connector's are not even close to being the same, 95 down is obd1 and the computer is inside the truck behind the dash

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the Jet two stage on my 93 GMC truck and even on stage two it doesn't hit that hard on my 93 the wires are located on the left side of the glove box when removed I also have a 4L60E trans and talk about the B&M shift kit there trash go with TransGo remember the Sun Shells are weak on 4L60E's. Oh on stage one from Jet one can barly feel nothing.