Don't waste the $50 for a B&M or $120 for a TCI electronic shift improver.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Can't remember who did the work for the spreadsheet. I think it was someone over at FSC for the 411 swap forum. It is a great tool for troubleshooting the computer. Using a Haynes manual diagram for this would be hell.

Reaction score
nice post...quick question...when you find the wires do you connect one side of the resistor to one and the other side to the other wire? not sure exactly how you do this. any luck on some pictures?

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
nice post...quick question...when you find the wires do you connect one side of the resistor to one and the other side to the other wire? not sure exactly how you do this. any luck on some pictures?

Sorry, have been really busy lately. Yes, just like you wrote, the resistor goes in-line of the wire.

It has been a while now and this mod is still going strong. Just make sure you get resistors that are rated 1W or more to keep from making them overheat. The ceramic resistors found at the auto part stores for the LED kits work well for this mod (the white brick looking ones).

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's bumping the pressure up by tricking the pc that higher pressure is needed. I don't wanna be the negative guy, but, when you do this, the pump is working at a level it's not designed to work at. You can turn the Allen screw on the pressure control solenoid and get the same result, but pump wear is possible over time. A transgo or superior shift kit changes springs, boost valves, opens and closes bleed holes. It makes good firm shifts with keeping the pressures within spec. Bye no means am I saying that by installing this your pump will fail, but it's not a shift kit replacement.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
This only changes the firmness of entering a new gear right? It doesn't affect time between shifts and how long it stays in a specific gear right?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Right, it just tricks the computer into thinking that the pressure is lower than it actually is. This makes it bump up the pressure for light-mid throttle shifts. At WOT the pressure should be maxed out so this mod won't do anything for that. Having your computer tuned for firmer shifts does the exact same thing so as long as you don't make it super firm with like a 3 ohm resistor premature pump wear should not be a big problem

Last edited:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ah, I was asking about this because my diesel's 80E could use a bit more rpm before shifting. Needa figure out how to make it hold it's gear until it reaches about 2k rpm, mainly for first and 2nd gear.