Dip **** stick broke off in pan now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GmTard89

Reaction score
OK, I mocked the dipstick tube and windage tray to show how a GM Mr Goodwrench TBI block is setup.

As you can see, the tube goes between the counterweights and then the dipstick goes through the hole in the windage tray. IDK how the crank can hit it unless the wrong tube was used... HTH
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks for your post this is what I suspect happened I had two different dipsticks I grabbed the wrong one from two

GmTard89

Reaction score
I didn't go to another Form This is just very depressing and this second time in 2 months I'm pulling a motor out of this Beast I spent the weekend pulling the motor again will be checking the pan during the week thanks for everyone's input convincing me to just pull it it's what I needed

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't go to another Form This is just very depressing and this second time in 2 months I'm pulling a motor out of this Beast I spent the weekend pulling the motor again will be checking the pan during the week thanks for everyone's input convincing me to just pull it it's what I needed
Hopefully you find it quick and no damage. Keep us posted!

GmTard89

Reaction score
Damage report looks to be in one piece couldn't get to it with the magnet cuz it was up on the baffle.. now next question why the f*** do I have glitter only thing I can think of is oil lines from the original motor being dirty even though I pressure washed them. And the fact that I only had it running for 45 seconds ish and the amount of debris in the pan makes me think the lines were still dirty.

Attachments

• 20230213_184822_HDR.jpg
    20230213_184822_HDR.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 15

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Damage report looks to be in one piece couldn't get to it with the magnet cuz it was up on the baffle.. now next question why the f*** do I have glitter only thing I can think of is oil lines from the original motor being dirty even though I pressure washed them. And the fact that I only had it running for 45 seconds ish and the amount of debris in the pan makes me think the lines were still dirty.
Yes, a rather labor intensive learning opportunity, indeed. I agree with your assessment on the oil lines. Where else would the fragments come from? Some folks have called me overly cautious when I change all the lines on Harleys after something fails, I just do what I do to insure the best possible outcome for the most cost effective investment.

Did you cut open the filter yet?
If you have the time, and I would suggest you to make it, send the oil out for analysis to see what that material is.
In your initial post you stated "motor replacement," is it a new engine or rebuilt? I may have missed that information.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, a rather labor intensive learning opportunity, indeed. I agree with your assessment on the oil lines. Where else would the fragments come from? Some folks have called me overly cautious when I change all the lines on Harleys after something fails, I just do what I do to insure the best possible outcome for the most cost effective investment.

Did you cut open the filter yet?
If you have the time, and I would suggest you to make it, send the oil out for analysis to see what that material is.
In your initial post you stated "motor replacement," is it a new engine or rebuilt? I may have missed that information.
Definitely, I highly recommend these guys. Cheap money too.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like it grabbed and snapped off. Doubt that alone is causing the other debris in the pan. You said you heard grinding, can you see any sign of damage that would produce a grinding. Maybe something in the replacement engine already there, oil lines like you think maybe. You got it this far, no harm checking the main or rod bearings. Oil analysis is suggested. Open the filter. 45 seconds doesn’t seem like a long time, but something soft got eaten fast. Look behind the timing cover, anything in there chewed up? Dizzy gear look ok? Maybe the block hadn’t been cleaned after machine work? What was the source/history of this replacement engine?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's go back to the question "is this a flat tappet cam"? Was it broke in properly, with new lifters, the correct oil and ZDDP additive? 20 minute of improper break in will throw "glitter" all throughout the system.