Dip **** stick broke off in pan now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont beat yourself up over it and dont get discouraged.
Its all just a part of hot rodding and learning and it always has been that way.
I guarantee you that everyone on this forum has made some type of a money and time sucking mistake.
Thats how you learn. Through your wallet and bleeding knuckles.
My high school car was a 69 roadrunner 383 auto.
It skipped the timing chain. Put a new timing set on. I had the factory service manual for it.
I read 215 inch pounds for the crank pulley as 215 foot pounds.
I didnt turn all of the bolts into taffy.
Just enough for the crank pulley to come off at about 95 mph.
It bent all 7 fan blades into a cone shape that cored the radiator like an apple and took out a trans cooler line.
I sank a customers 36 foot boat.
For the second time
The only reason I was working on it is because it had already sunk.
I wrote a contract add on a bar napkin at 85,000 thousand bucks based on the theory that I could use a hydraulic porta punch to put more holes into 3/8s flat bar.
I didnt know that the shop had run out of 3/8 and had built it all out of 1/2.
The porta punch cant push that tonnage.
We had to drill them instead.
That was a forty thousand dollar mistake just from the labor costs.
Thats just a very few of my mistakes
**** happens.
In business you will often hear some jit bag say that "Failure is not an option"
Which is true. But not in the way they think it is.
Failure is inevitable. It will happen. It is not an option.
The only thing that you can change is your reaction to failure.
Plan for the worst possible scenario and have all of your people and equipment in place and ready to go.
Spend the money.
If nothing happens, your and your crew are friggen heroes for being there.
If something does happen
You and your crew are friggen heroes for being there.
Never forget, that no nothing pumpkin at a big GC company probably doesnt know **** and is in a brutal ****** up situation and his job is always on the line.
If you back them up. And you are rock ******* solid and honest with them.
They get to kind of carry you along with them.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch. You are staying awake all ******* night trying to keep these stupid ***** from killing your freinds.
The reason nobody wants to go into the trades anymore is because they are standing up for themselves and doing the things us old farts should have done for ourselves.
Young people didnt stand around and do nothing when the factories and mills shut down.
They werent even born yet.
They didnt vote all of our jobs offshore.
We ******* did that.
And just this one thought from me.
If you abuse someone you do not get to decide if they are allowed to be offended.
No more than if I punch you in the face am I allowed to tell you that it didnt hurt.
How weak and fearfull and insucure in your own soul.
What in the **** are you afraid of?
What you should worry about is your relationships with your wife and your kids and your family.
That is all that matters.
And, when your kids grow up, the will shockingly think differently than you do!
The little diaper pooping whining middle of the night little *****.

GmTard89

Reaction score
It's an original 5.7 with a flat tappet and it was a junkyard motor with 160,000 miles on it I had the heads resurfaced and resealed the motor bottom end was stock fairly clean. The heads were pressure washed the oil lines are pressure washed the radiator was pressure washed thoroughly multiple times but it's the only place I can think of all the material came from are the oil lines or the radiator kind of look like bearing material from the overheated original motor

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damage report looks to be in one piece couldn't get to it with the magnet cuz it was up on the baffle.. now next question why the f*** do I have glitter only thing I can think of is oil lines from the original motor being dirty even though I pressure washed them. And the fact that I only had it running for 45 seconds ish and the amount of debris in the pan makes me think the lines were still dirty.
I can't tell from the photo if the 'break' is due to being stretched beyond endurance or worn through. If the latter, then could that have created particles you are seeing as glitter?

Steel particles will be attracted to a magnet. Particles from white metal bearings and pistons will not.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Dont beat yourself up over it and dont get discouraged.
Its all just a part of hot rodding and learning and it always has been that way.
I guarantee you that everyone on this forum has made some type of a money and time sucking mistake.
Thats how you learn. Through your wallet and bleeding knuckles.
My high school car was a 69 roadrunner 383 auto.
It skipped the timing chain. Put a new timing set on. I had the factory service manual for it.
I read 215 inch pounds for the crank pulley as 215 foot pounds.
I didnt turn all of the bolts into taffy.
Just enough for the crank pulley to come off at about 95 mph.
It bent all 7 fan blades into a cone shape that cored the radiator like an apple and took out a trans cooler line.
I sank a customers 36 foot boat.
For the second time
The only reason I was working on it is because it had already sunk.
I wrote a contract add on a bar napkin at 85,000 thousand bucks based on the theory that I could use a hydraulic porta punch to put more holes into 3/8s flat bar.
I didnt know that the shop had run out of 3/8 and had built it all out of 1/2.
The porta punch cant push that tonnage.
We had to drill them instead.
That was a forty thousand dollar mistake just from the labor costs.
Thats just a very few of my mistakes
**** happens.
In business you will often hear some jit bag say that "Failure is not an option"
Which is true. But not in the way they think it is.
Failure is inevitable. It will happen. It is not an option.
The only thing that you can change is your reaction to failure.
Plan for the worst possible scenario and have all of your people and equipment in place and ready to go.
Spend the money.
If nothing happens, your and your crew are friggen heroes for being there.
If something does happen
You and your crew are friggen heroes for being there.
Never forget, that no nothing pumpkin at a big GC company probably doesnt know **** and is in a brutal ****** up situation and his job is always on the line.
If you back them up. And you are rock ******* solid and honest with them.
They get to kind of carry you along with them.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch. You are staying awake all ******* night trying to keep these stupid ***** from killing your freinds.
The reason nobody wants to go into the trades anymore is because they are standing up for themselves and doing the things us old farts should have done for ourselves.
Young people didnt stand around and do nothing when the factories and mills shut down.
They werent even born yet.
They didnt vote all of our jobs offshore.
We ******* did that.
And just this one thought from me.
If you abuse someone you do not get to decide if they are allowed to be offended.
No more than if I punch you in the face am I allowed to tell you that it didnt hurt.
How weak and fearfull and insucure in your own soul.
What in the **** are you afraid of?
What you should worry about is your relationships with your wife and your kids and your family.
That is all that matters.
And, when your kids grow up, the will shockingly think differently than you do!
The little diaper pooping whining middle of the night little *****.
If I were a dinosaur, I'd be a mistakasaurous...