Diesel cooling fan or a gasser swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
My 97 lost some valves, so I'll be swapping in a 383 within the next year or so.

Any reason why I cant use my 9 blade fan on the 383? Seems to me it should suck much more air than a normal 5 or 6 blade fan.

Thoughts?

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I'm currently looking into doing the same..

a 350, or 383 swap is going to be a much cheaper swap than rebuilding the 6.5 or converting to a Cummins or Duramax... i'm going to swap a 355 into mine and i will be reusing the 6.5 radiator and everything for the 350... just replacing the lift pump with a frame mounted fuel pump running off a OPS just like the 6.5 or a independant circuit, not sure yet...

i wouldn't think the fan would matter, diesel engines require a better cooling system and run a little cooler, especially the 6.5 which is why they run at 185 degrees. If anything that fan would keep the 350 a little bit cooler.. i don' think thats going to hurt anything.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with a plastic 11 blade fan from an S10 for my 350. Bolts right up to the stock fan clutch. It pulls a ton of air and is more quiet than the steel 5 blade. We will see next week how well it keeps the new 383 going in cool.