Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRedMamba

Reaction score
Sounds good. I much prefer a straightforward parts fatigue type failure as opposed to an
issue where the cooling system is being pressurized from a failing spot in a head gasket.

Sounds like you managed to add some cooling system headroom by a savvy treasure yard
upgrade while you were at it. Good call.

Best of luck keeping your GMT400 on the road --
Good looking out! Appreciate it! Cheers

dallasp438

Reaction score
Just throwing an FYI out here but if your cooling system wasn't a HD cooling system originally (hence the narrower Rad.) you need to cut the core support opening on either side where it is embossed on said core support to get the max airflow to the wider HD Rad. on a GMT400.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Duralast Water Pump/Fan Clutch Kit HD (see pics) from AutoZone,
On my Ram I went through one from AutoZone, Napa, and one of the other generic parts store brands that I can't remember, each lasting less than a year before I got an OEM online and it seems to be holding up. I know you've already done the swap but if that pump quits doing pump things in the near future I would avoid the autozone cheapy replacements.

I just love the concept of the lever-lift radiator caps.
I have one on my Ram and quite like it. While going through the saga of 4 water pumps in 3 years, that cap came in handy a number of times on the side of the road.

And even the ones that "work" do so in a sticky, digital manner. The engine gets too hot, the thermostat pops open too far, the engine gets too cold, the thermostat shuts...and it bounces between too hot and too cold for too damn long before it finally stabilizes at a reasonable temperature.
SSSHHHH... my thermostat can hear you, please be nice. It's doing its best.

TheRedMamba

Reaction score
Just throwing an FYI out here but if your cooling system wasn't a HD cooling system originally (hence the narrower Rad.) you need to cut the core support opening on either side where it is embossed on said core support to get the max airflow to the wider HD Rad. on a GMT400.
Good looking out! I'm currently walking the rows of a few boneyards here in Idaho Falls for the upper and lower fan shroud off of the bigger truck before I customize Babygirl and her original parts. Plus I've never perused the yards here before and this kind of a Vaca allows for a few minutes here and there to browse.

TheRedMamba

Reaction score
Side question/opinions.... So since I finished up and have everything back together... I still get a little fluctuating occasionally on my temp sensor (less than 100 miles driven total since repair)??! More importantly my alternator has always ran at 14 amps++ steady with stereo, sub, amp, lights etc. going (also a 2 battery system, NOT factory, however done correctly, BIG 3(5) done also, she does have the needle bounce whenever the blinker is engaged. Since the repair my gauge will drop down to essentially no output when I hit, even just the parking lights, with the stereo, sub, and amp on. Any ideas?
Bonus Info: During this recent repair I did relocate a ground to a better hookup, the one that usually grounds on the driver side bolt for the thermostat cover. Please any suggestions, comments, ideas, etc. are much appreciated! Cheers

TheRedMamba

Reaction score
Side question/opinions.... So since I finished up and have everything back together... I still get a little fluctuating occasionally on my temp sensor (less than 100 miles driven total since repair)??! More importantly my alternator has always ran at 14 amps++ steady with stereo, sub, amp, lights etc. going (also a 2 battery system, NOT factory, however done correctly, BIG 3(5) done also, she does have the needle bounce whenever the blinker is engaged. Since the repair my gauge will drop down to essentially no output when I hit, even just the parking lights, with the stereo, sub, and amp on. Any ideas?
Bonus Info: During this recent repair I did relocate a ground to a better hookup, the one that usually grounds on the driver side bolt for the thermostat cover. Please any suggestions, comments, ideas, etc. are much appreciated! Cheers
I have double checked all the grounds I recently upgraded, other than the connection at the starter.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good looking out! I'm currently walking the rows of a few boneyards here in Idaho Falls for the upper and lower fan shroud off of the bigger truck before I customize Babygirl and her original parts. Plus I've never perused the yards here before and this kind of a Vaca allows for a few minutes here and there to browse.
I got the shrouds from a late Suburban when I did this upgrade. All the 99-00 GMT400 Suburbans that I looked at had the big radiator.

TheRedMamba

Reaction score
I got the shrouds from a late Suburban when I did this upgrade. All the 99-00 GMT400 Suburbans that I looked at had the big radiator.
Much Appreciated on the information My Brotha! Actually omw now to have a peek at what they might have! Cheers

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 96 came with a single core 34x17 1/4 and is the same width as the dual core I replaced it with. No cutting was needed.
Maybe that was an earlier TBI thing.

Last edited: