Did i mess anything up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350Vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today i lost control of my truck, slid off the road into a field luckily. I put it in nuetral and pushed forward on my 4x4 shifter on the floor to put it in low, i was stuck bad. But i didnt put it in all the way apparently and i threw it in drive and it made a loud bang sound. Then a realized that i didnt engage it fully, so i put it back in nuetral. Engaged it fully then put it in drive and it went just fine from there. But i noticed that 4 lo has a distinct ...whining sound from the front tires when rolling? Is this normal? Did i mess something up?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Most trucks of our age has the whine your talking about. The best thing you can do for your 4 wheel drive system (this doesnt mean thrash on it, just engage it and drive around) is to use it and get everything lubed up, use it or lose it.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how fast were you going when you put it in neutral? At highspeeds this can be really bad for the transmission. from the sounds of it though your truck is running fine

1996 yukon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4 lo will whine a bit just because of it being such a low ratio, you're going to be fine.

350Vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
exactly, no worries dude

Thanks alot guys, And i was doing 0 mph when i put it in nuetral .I would never attempt a moving 4x4 switch. I have seen to many horror shows.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Thanks alot guys, And i was doing 0 mph when i put it in nuetral .I would never attempt a moving 4x4 switch. I have seen to many horror shows.

4LO I wouldnt do on the fly but in my old 91 it had the NP241 (on the floor), I'd snatch that son a ***** in doing 30 mph and never let off the gas (I did my best to give that truck hell). The 98 I'm driving now has a NP243 (push button) and I swap it in to 4HI all the time at 15MPH or less.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you blew your tcase you would know it. And even if you did they are cheap.

1996 yukon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4LO I wouldnt do on the fly but in my old 91 it had the NP241 (on the floor), I'd snatch that son a ***** in doing 30 mph and never let off the gas (I did my best to give that truck hell). The 98 I'm driving now has a NP243 (push button) and I swap it in to 4HI all the time at 15MPH or less.

they dont call it on the fly 4 wheel drive for nothin! hahaha

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
yea, i have gone in 4 hi on the fly at like 30 with no issues, its 4 lo you have to stop and be in neutral and ****