How I got the internal clutch to work on my 92 NV4500 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I was searching on how to work the new internal clutch on the 2005 NV4500 I swapped into my 92 3/4 ton I kept seeing the opinion that the master and slave cylinders should always match up, that is, have the same year etc. application. But I really did not want to have to go through all the trouble of making a late model master cylinder mount on my firewall, when it already had the holes for putting the 92 bolt-on type master cylinder in. So I got an old 92 master from a junkyard and measured the ID and found out the throw, and found out the diameter matched the newer style ( the diamond shape twist-in) precisely, and the throw on the 92 was about 1/8” longer. So I put it in, after getting the pedal assembly in. Then I got a braided hose and a 4AN adapter from McCleods, put that in, and started bleeding. That took a while, I think because I had the front of the truck lower than the rear. After I got the front higher, and after some old fashioned brake bleeding technique, it finally worked, and perfectly. It engages and disengages half way, just where you want it. BTW I also used the pushrod that came with the 92 master. My only regret is not having used a new master.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Very good information to know!

I'm wondering if they changed slaves after 1998/99?

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t know which year but I believe most all the American trucks had switched around 97-98. I forgot when Chevy switched to internal

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a 96 nv4500 in my 97 dodge and used the 96 external slave with the 97 twist-on later model style master the truck was made for. All I needed was the pre-bled assembly that CarParts had.