Diagnosing failing ignition coil vs starter solenoid - click when turning key, cranks after multiple attempts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech

Reaction score
At 140,000 that starter is all used up. The new gear reduction units are the way to go. Schurkey nice write up.
Another quick troubleshooting trick is to watch the dome light when you turn the key. If the light goes out you have lost voltage (dead battery or a bad battery connection). If the light stays bright the starter isn't pulling any power and you have a poor connection somewhere. Most likely that little copper disk is shot.
I found a gear reduction starter rated at 4HP that makes my BB turn over like someone stole the spark plugs.

The copper disk does have a rotation device I believe. It's the return spring that pushes the disk off the contacts. Each time it's cycled the spring adds a little rotation. That's why you can hit the key 30 times and get one more start out of it.