Denali cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
found a 120mph cluster from my 97 silverado.

Are these plug and play or do they need programming for the mph to be correct?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
found a 120mph cluster from my 97 silverado.

Are these plug and play or do they need programming for the mph to be correct?
Your going to have to try it, and see if it's off, and by how much. When I did mine, it was off IDK, maybe 8 or 10 MPH, I think. I have a jet flask tunner, so I just changed my tire size, to make it read correctly. That was a few years ago. I checked it yesterday, and it's spot on. Passed a county popo yesterday at 74 MPH in a 70 limit, and he never even looked at me twice. I double checked it with the wayz app, and it said 74 in a 70. My truck is also a 97. Other than that, it is a direct plug and play, but you may want to remove the clear plastic cover, and check your gauge steeper motors for looseness. Just bump each needle, to see how loose it is, or if there is some resistance. They should not just bounce around freely. If so, you may want to swap them out with the ones in your old cluster. They are a direct swap, but you have to replace each one, with the same one from your cluster. In other words, if the gas gauge is loose, you have to replace it with another gas gauge motor. You can not interchanging the gas gauge with the oil gauge motor, for example, or any other motor. Same for all of them. Oil can only be replaced with oil, temp, with temp, and bat with bat. I have swapped mine out, and repaired the gas gauge with some RC diff fluid. 10,000 visc. I have a thread on here about it, if you need.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was that due to the cluster or the fact denalis may have came with a different size tire.

The clust reads off the speed sensor right. The sensor tells the cluster what speed to show. It would be really cool to have the 120mph cluster lol.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was that due to the cluster or the fact denalis may have came with a different size tire.

The clust reads off the speed sensor right. The sensor tells the cluster what speed to show. It would be really cool to have the 120mph cluster lol.
IDK, but best guess, the Denali's should have the same size tires, or very close to the same size tires. Keep in mind, that, you are measuring tire height, not the size in the side of the tire, itself. Adjusting the tire size, is just what I did, and it works properly. I like the Denali cluster much better than the OE, cluster. Also just a FYI, the speedo works off if a steeper motor also, so there are variables that come into play. Is the motor old, ( yes) it could be off, is there a different calibration for the Denali's vs the regular trucks, (IDK). I will say this though, I had to use a very small tire size, to get it to read correctly. 25.5 inch, maybe, I don't really remember. I am running 275/60/15 tires. I think they measure about 28 or 29 inches tall.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
I swapped in a Denali/Esky cluster and it reads exactly the same as the original one did (in my case 10% slow )

the only reason it would read different is if someone put just the face on a normal cluster. In our hypothetical example if pointing at 100 on the cluster, the guage face would now read 120 at that position/angle. If pointing straight up at 50 on the cluster, the face would read 60 instead at that position.
make sense?

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swapped in a Denali/Esky cluster and it reads exactly the same as the original one did (in my case 10% slow )

the only reason it would read different is if someone put just the face on a normal cluster. In our hypothetical example if pointing at 100 on the cluster, the guage face would now read 120 at that position/angle. If pointing straight up at 50 on the cluster, the face would read 60 instead at that position.
make sense?
It should just be plug n play if vehicle is stock

Three possibilities
You got duped
You havent recalibrated bigger tires
Its not working properly

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picking up the cluster tonight. My current cluster is having issues with the fuel gauge bouncing. I am also getting the deanli cluster for 60 bucks. Gonna pop it in tonight and drive the truck to work tomorrow.

I'm choosing this over a bluetooth radio for now lol. Something about the 120mph over the 100mph cluster just seems like a worth while upgrade.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So the fuel gaige didnt move at first. Took it apart and the needle was pressed on too hard. Go the fuel gauge workimg but need to fill up and re set the needle. Swap over my odometer and ill be good. Speedo is 2mph fast by gps

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the odometer and trip quit working last night on the way. I ripped it apart again and it looks like the red connector between the two had slipped off.

Should the odometer still work unless it was in a bind. I put it all back together. I didn't notice there was flat spots on the little rods that ran from the odometer to to the trip.