Delete Oil Cooler lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
How is age of the truck going to affect oil cooler lines that have been replaced? It's not like a new oil line is going to be worn out by some other part of the truck.

Thats what I am saying....The lines took 15-20 years to start leaking...Chances are, they will last that long again

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Anything containing rubber that has the Dorman name on it is JUNK. AC Delco is getting hit or miss lately.

If I was in this situation, I would get the right fittings and have a hydraulic shop make the hoses.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Anything containing rubber that has the Dorman name on it is JUNK. AC Delco is getting hit or miss lately.

If I was in this situation, I would get the right fittings and have a hydraulic shop make the hoses.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

I guess the small block guys can do that pretty easily. The big block still requires a fitting that partially blocks an oil passage in the block, in order to create a pressure differential, or some non-sense. They're available, but I don't like the idea of still having to buy a special fitting.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess the small block guys can do that pretty easily. The big block still requires a fitting that partially blocks an oil passage in the block, in order to create a pressure differential, or some non-sense. They're available, but I don't like the idea of still having to buy a special fitting.

The rubber is the problem. Take your current lines down to a hydraulic shop and have them reuse the hard sections and just replace the rubber lines.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The rubber is the problem. Take your current lines down to a hydraulic shop and have them reuse the hard sections and just replace the rubber lines.

I saved the one OEM (steel) line I still had on the truck, but the other one got thrown away when I replaced it a few years ago. I'm not going to spend good money to put new rubber on the cheesy Dorman aluminum. I also don't like the connectors on the block side. After messing with it a few times, I just don't like the design, and want to be done with it. I don't work my truck very hard, and I run an HD oil, so for now I'm not going to bother. If I ever feel I need the oil cooler, I'll look at running a sandwich adapter like marine engines and run some real lines.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just completed this :) oil pressure went from 40 psi on the highway with everything warmed up to 50 psi :)

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I ended up finding a thread on fsc that Blue95 even replied in :D I've got the parts ordered and will be doing this by end of week or next weekend. I'm also replacing the radiator at the same time.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...t-drop-down-oil-filter-gain-oil-pressure.html

I'm looking into doing this and found the above link to FSC is broken. Here's the new link:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...ert-to-drop-down-oil-filter-gain-oil-pressure

Wild Willie

Reaction score
Like is common with our trucks my oil cooler lines that run from the oil filter adapter up to the radiator are leaking. Through a lot of research I've read some people that just delete these lines especially for those that don't tow very much or work their truck very hard which is pretty much me. After doing a search on this forum I did not find any write ups on this mod so i thought I'd ask if any of you have done this and if you can shed some light on it? Is it as easy as taking out the lines, plugging the holes at the adapter with some 3/8" NPT plugs and plugging the Radiator holes or ????

I realize that this post is a few years old, but I just did the above removal. I cut both lines off at the oil filter adaptor, removed both line adaptors from the oil filter adaptor and but in 2 3/8" pipe plugs with teflon tape. Worked like a charm. I blew the oil out of the lines and left the hoses connected to the rad. They are not in the way of anything. My is only a 2 wheel drive and I don't tow.