Delete Oil Cooler lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeTahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why eliminate them? It will only keep the oil cooler therefore better engine life, no?

Mine also leak lol so I will be looking for a new set of lines if anyone knows where I can get a set, I would appreciate it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Why eliminate them? It will only keep the oil cooler therefore better engine life, no?

The new lines will be old leaky lines in a year or two, and you'll be leaking your "cooler" oil all over again. Oil outside the engine doesn't do it any good, and if you aren't watching the level very closely you can run out. The oil coolers are a recent addition, too. GM didn't put oil coolers on everything before the GMT-400.

They're nice to have, but only if they don't leak.

JoeTahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new lines will be old leaky lines in a year or two, and you'll be leaking your "cooler" oil all over again. Oil outside the engine doesn't do it any good, and if you aren't watching the level very closely you can run out. The oil coolers are a recent addition, too. GM didn't put oil coolers on everything before the GMT-400.

They're nice to have, but only if they don't leak.

I see. Since I'm retired and don't drive it like most daily guys do, I think I'd replace my leaky ones for new ones. And keep a close eye on them and if they do fail quickly, I'd look into eliminating them. This is my first oil cooler truck. Thanks bro

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
40+ years an well over 100 million small an big blocks would like to argue with you about that

oh my bad. I didn't know 100 million big blocks and small blocks ran that aftermarket setup. If you were referring to the stock setup then I would have to disagree since its a known problem with oem and aftermarket replacement lines. I was simply offering a leak free solution to the problem while retaining the stock cooler setup.

I thought I was looking at one of those adapters that relocates the filter, and I feel that those would leak. I see what that is now and its probably a good solution to delete it. I was assuming we were talking about keeping the cooler and made myself look like a dufus hahah.

Last edited:

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Whether you need an oil cooler is debatable.......depends on what you use your truck for.
That said, I cant see new lines rotting out in a year, Most of the problem trucks being talked about now are 15-20 years old.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do leak frequently, I changed them 3 times on my 00 S10 in 130k miles. That's why I opted to just do away with them on my Z71.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best thing to do is get a remote mount filter head and do AN fitting braided lines to a cooler, by $$$$

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had mine replaced a year ago because they were leaking. I use my truck for towing, so I felt it was necessary. The garage said they were "OEM only" and were a bit pricey. $225ish installed IIRC. Not sure about the OEM only, though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Whether you need an oil cooler is debatable.......depends on what you use your truck for.
That said, I cant see new lines rotting out in a year, Most of the problem trucks being talked about now are 15-20 years old.

How is age of the truck going to affect oil cooler lines that have been replaced? It's not like a new oil line is going to be worn out by some other part of the truck.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had mine replaced a year ago because they were leaking. I use my truck for towing, so I felt it was necessary. The garage said they were "OEM only" and were a bit pricey. $225ish installed IIRC. Not sure about the OEM only, though.

They're not OEM only, but the commonly available Dorman lines are junk. I've also found lines by Edelmann, but Rockauto was out of one of the lines when I was going to make a purchase. I don't know if those are any good, or not. The AC Delco lines are quite a bit more...... no idea if they're worth it.