Delete Oil Cooler lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like is common with our trucks my oil cooler lines that run from the oil filter adapter up to the radiator are leaking. Through a lot of research I've read some people that just delete these lines especially for those that don't tow very much or work their truck very hard which is pretty much me. After doing a search on this forum I did not find any write ups on this mod so i thought I'd ask if any of you have done this and if you can shed some light on it? Is it as easy as taking out the lines, plugging the holes at the adapter with some 3/8" NPT plugs and plugging the Radiator holes or ????

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Big Block or Small Block? On the 454, you have an option. You can either simply install plugs, or there is a bypass that you can pull out. Removing that bypass is supposed to give a bit better oil pressure. I didn't mess with it, so I don't recall which bypass can be removed. On the Small Block, I don't know.

I removed the lines on my 454, and it's so nice not having that oil drip all over!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mines a K1500 with a 350

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
The whole adapter block can be removed and an earlier filter adapter put into the spot. Supposed to improve oil pressure, eliminate leaks and makes the filter easier to change. There is a thread on here about it somewhere. I will do mine if it starts leaking

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't even need to plug the holes in the rad.

Get the oil filter adapter that makes it straight up and down. As long as it is the same as my '95 you need a Wix 51069 filter or cross that to whatever you like.

The perks of the straight down filter is you can put a hole in it with a punch to drain right into a pan during oil changes and fill the filter with oil before re installing which will help with dry starts after an oil change.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just delete them an go to a bigger filter. Here's the thread with details an pics

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12948

You don't even need to plug the holes in the rad.

Get the oil filter adapter that makes it straight up and down. As long as it is the same as my '95 you need a Wix 51069 filter or cross that to whatever you like.

The perks of the straight down filter is you can put a hole in it with a punch to drain right into a pan during oil changes and fill the filter with oil before re installing which will help with dry starts after an oil change.

Thanks guys. I ended up finding a thread on fsc that Blue95 even replied in :D I've got the parts ordered and will be doing this by end of week or next weekend. I'm also replacing the radiator at the same time.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...t-drop-down-oil-filter-gain-oil-pressure.html

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see that the adapter doesn't require a gasket. Is that correct?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't put one on mine. I don't see why it would need one. The oil filter seals everything up.