oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evil Iron

Reaction score
Really didnt see anything about this in past treads so here I go with question. Bought a new radiator . The new openings for the oil coolers lines dont line up with cooler lines. Yes its the correct radiator. Spacing is correct at 8.5 inchs on ctn between openings but the top line fitting is 2.5 inchs off and the bottom fitting is 2.25 inchs off. To much difference to even try to adjust. What suggestions out there too fix. People talk about replacing with braided lines from adapter to radiator. Having a shop make new lines. Cutting off the section of the line that screws into the radiator so that fits and then splicing in between the cut sections of metal tubing. Doesnt seem to really be a proper repair option to go too solution from what I read. Old radiator is original but all the replacement are spaced those dimension off.

Thanks

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's 2 .5 off? Too high too low, too wide. I just installed a new TCY, 4 row lined up perfectly. This is the first I've heard of your problem. Most complaints are on the poor quality cooler hoses.

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to reiterate with what my colleague (GoToGuy) said, so I'll take a SWAG (SCIENTIFIC WISE ASS GUESS) at it, but maybe the bottom Rubber Radiator Supports are either MIA (missing in action), incorrectly position, wrong type for that particular Radiator you purchased, again just a guess.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really didnt see anything about this in past treads so here I go with question. Bought a new radiator . The new openings for the oil coolers lines dont line up with cooler lines. Yes its the correct radiator. Spacing is correct at 8.5 inchs on ctn between openings but the top line fitting is 2.5 inchs off and the bottom fitting is 2.25 inchs off. To much difference to even try to adjust. What suggestions out there too fix. People talk about replacing with braided lines from adapter to radiator. Having a shop make new lines. Cutting off the section of the line that screws into the radiator so that fits and then splicing in between the cut sections of metal tubing. Doesnt seem to really be a proper repair option to go too solution from what I read. Old radiator is original but all the replacement are spaced those dimension off.

Thanks
What truck and which radiator(#part number) did you get? There’s a few different variations for these trucks.

Evil Iron

Reaction score
I bought from our local radiator shop. He sold me a Platinum Pro brand part# rad624.
1990 SS454. The top oil cooler fitting on my original radiator is 2.75 inch, not 2.5 as stated in my original thread, my mistake, on ctn from the hose inlet and the bottom fitting is 11.25 inch on ctn from the hose inlet. The radiator I got top fitting is 5 inch on ctn from the hose inlet or 2.25 inch lower and the bottom fitting is 13.5 inch from the hose inlet or 2.25 inch lower. So both are 2.25 lower then my original. Rubber radiator supports are correct. Transmission lines up perfect with new radiator.
Here is a side by side comparison

Attachments

• radiators.jpg
    radiators.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 32