Delete Oil Cooler lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I realize that this post is a few years old, but I just did the above removal. I cut both lines off at the oil filter adaptor, removed both line adaptors from the oil filter adaptor and but in 2 3/8" pipe plugs with teflon tape. Worked like a charm. I blew the oil out of the lines and left the hoses connected to the rad. They are not in the way of anything. My is only a 2 wheel drive and I don't tow.

Why would you leave them connected to the radiator? When I did mine, I left them open and when I eventually replaced the radiator, I left the plastic shipping caps in place.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut both lines off at the oil filter adaptor, removed both line adaptors from the oil filter adaptor and but in 2 3/8" pipe plugs with teflon tape.
Teflon tape is a VERY BAD IDEA around vehicle oil systems--engine or transmission.

IF (big IF) the tape doesn't shred during installation of the plug--putting Teflon debris into the oiling system--it'll shred during removal. You'll have to be VERY careful to dig out all the Teflon "strings" left behind.

Pipe sealing paste is a much better alternative. I prefer Loctite/Permatex "PST". Comes in at least three varieties, #565, #567, and #592. #592 is the easiest to find, and isn't the most expensive. That's what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-4836...=1&keywords=Loctite+592&qid=1600194071&sr=8-1

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do I need a gasket or anything for the Melling adapter? There seems to be conflicting information in various threads.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk