Defrost always on, replaced actuator.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rustedcutlery

Reaction score
So I replaced the drivers side actuator, and the fan still blows through the defrost at all times. I even moved the door by hand and it still does the same thing.

I’m assuming that’s the correct door, I did hook up the wiring and watched the actuator work before reinstalling it.

Any suggestions?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Assuming it is your 1998 in your sig, I believe that actuator is nearly above the drivers side pedal. When that happened on my 97, defrost all the time, it was the door attached to the actuator had fell apart. The actuator on mine was good, I dropped the dash and replaced the door and was good to go after that.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Depends on your skill level. IIRC, I took the things loose needed to drop the steering column and dropped it down on the seat. There is a bolt on each side by the kick panel and 2 above the glove compartment. There are 4 or 5 screws in the top of the dash. Getting the dash down was easier than switching the door, and doing it without taking the whole airway out requires you to leave one clip out when putting it back together, but this is the way I did mine. On my dads truck I had to replace the evaporator and had to move the dash back and pull the ductwork, it really wasn't that bad either. I'm pretty sure there is a write up on here somewhere with pics that I followed.

rustedcutlery

Reaction score
Depends on your skill level. IIRC, I took the things loose needed to drop the steering column and dropped it down on the seat. There is a bolt on each side by the kick panel and 2 above the glove compartment. There are 4 or 5 screws in the top of the dash. Getting the dash down was easier than switching the door, and doing it without taking the whole airway out requires you to leave one clip out when putting it back together, but this is the way I did mine. On my dads truck I had to replace the evaporator and had to move the dash back and pull the ductwork, it really wasn't that bad either. I'm pretty sure there is a write up on here somewhere with pics that I followed.

Thanks! I’ll give her a whirl when I get some free time