HVAC mode actuator help (solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iDog

Reaction score
Hi all

Not sure where to post this if in wrong section.

Didn’t find what I was looking for so hoping for some help

I have a 1995 c2500 Cheyenne work truck no ac model. I was down by the gas pedal and noticed the hvac mode actuator linkage just dangling. This is driver side, not the temp blend door that commonly fails.

I can’t figure out how this is supposed to go.

The one I have seems different then everything I have seen as it appears to be cable driven. I can feel a cable move in the actuator when I move the knob by the radio.

I can’t figure out how to orient the linkage and just dangling it binds when changing modes. Anyone have a picture of how this is supposed to look like? Is the blue part supposed to push on to the nip on the red part (photo below)

Hoping I can reset the linkage and be good to go

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpeg
    IMG_0360.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0361.jpeg
    IMG_0361.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 20

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen cabled controls in a 95+ before. But yes that dangling linkage goes to the defrost vent door (that nub you circled in red) - you can see the second linkage up there going to the face vents as well. Luckily the spring is still in there, usually the retainers like to fly off and disappear lol.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm used to seeing an electronic actuator in that spot. you might be able to glue it back on the shaft. It should spin very easily and with hand pressure. If its hard, or sticky, you might need to replace it. the rubber seals around the outside break down and make it bind when they get this old. Big job.

iDog

Reaction score
Update

I was off on that photo. The nub in the red circle is stationary and doesn’t move at all. This actually goes a bit higher (almost impossible to see) but you can feel a metal shaft that moves what feels like a door. You can also feel a D flat cut in the rod and the linkage actually has a slot for it. See green circle for correct spot.

I felt up there and was able to press it back on. Knob works good as new now and time will tell if it holds. I’ll attach a photo in case it helps anyone in the future

Attachments

• IMG_0367.jpeg
    IMG_0367.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 10

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't seen a non AC truck in long time. Usually if the arm is not a press fit, then there is some form of mechanical retainer. Whether snap ring, set screw, roll pin.