Deadbeats 1997 Centurion Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Had a bad thing happen yesterday. When I got the motor it had a manifold bolt broke I was trying to get out. I drilled the hole out to a little over 1/4 and put an Not-so-easy out in and it broke. I took a punch a knocked it out the back. Took advise of a mechanic and began heating it and trying to cool rapidly to get bolt to free up. Wound up cracking the head.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Finally got around to doing some work on my truck again, got the old motor pulled out, wasn't really that bad except the exhaust required some heat and love. Managed to leave a/c and p/s connected. Took me so long to get around to it because every mechanic I took it to said they would do it and then kept putting me off for a few months so I gave up and rolled up the sleeves.
You must be registered for see images attach

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Got the motor installed. Went for test drive and front caliper had seized. Bought new hoses, calipers, rotors and pads. Put them on and while I was bleeding the rear line blowed. Yanked the bed and tank off and gutted rusty lines. Painted inside frame and decided to get it ready to box it while I was there. Replaced drive shaft with a factory one out of a 1999 3/4 ton ccsb which required the mount to be moved forward 10 inches. Bought another frame so I could easily cut one side to plate the other side. Bought nylon gas lines to replace rusty ones with and copper nickel brakes lines so they will never rust again.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Frame painted ready for some boxing.

Scrap frame I cut up to make boxing easier.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Those gas straps bolts break easy, had to fix that.

Finally got my nickel copper brake lines ran. No more rust to worry about.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Got the exhaust out of the way so I can finish up the boxing to the drive shaft cross member.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Got the boxing to the cab mounts, just need a little bit more. A word of caution, if you get a donor frame from a 2wd, make sure yours is a 2wd, mine is 4wd and after the gas tank mount it gets around an inch wider.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Got all the boxing I am going to do finished. I left a slot out in one side for the exhaust hanger and the other side for the gas tank mount. Just need to clean all the welds and rust and POR15 the frame now. It really is a pain in the butt to lay on the creeper and weld under trucks.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Finally got the frame painted, now that rusty rear and drive shaft have to be painted too. What is the best way to paint the driveshaft without getting it out of balance? This made me realize I need a lift. Crawling around and laying on a creeper made my shoulders throb.