Dash removal and replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yeah that airbag sure adds value to those 97-98 dashes.

Wow, those 88-94 dashes look mint! Jeez! It actually looks like gray, instead of the light bleached gray most of the time. Or did GM have two different gray interiors? I know they made the very light gray, which looks like it has a yellowish haze to it. You know what I mean... lol

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The prices of new trucks would damn near give me a heart attack. I kind of like my "old" truck...just wish the a/c worked as well as the newer ones. It's a bit warm these days.

Someone earlier asked, I think this is the guy I got the dash from. He doesn't show any listings for 95+, but has several 88-94s.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1988-94-Chevy-GMC-Truck-suburban-blazer-Gray-Dash-core-/112478303978?hash=item1a303ab6ea:g:Ui8AAOSwvflZVoIL&_trkparms=pageci%3A215062a6-66a6-11e7-97c8-74dbd180d3c5%7Cparentrq%3A3488571115d0ab450c2576b2ffeb5f4e%7Ciid%3A1

I do see a few eBay listings for 97/98 dash assemblies, but they're priced at $750.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. We have a Chevy dealer here that sales an extra cab with a 5.3L for around $28,000 or so. I have seen them a cheap as & 24,000. These are new trucks. But like you, I love my 97. I can work on it and I couldn't work on a new one. When I was working offshore (14&14) I had a lot more time to fool with my truck. When the oil field died in 2015, I started working in town, so I don't have the time I use to. Also I am starting to get old. I'm 58, so it is not as easy for me to do things like when I was younger. Don't get me wrong, I am still able to do anything I want to, but it is just not as easy as it use to be.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I have to agree with you guys, I prefer the 88-98 trucks more than a new truck any day. Yeah the new trucks are neat, but I think the older trucks are neater. Not as techy as the newer trucks, which I think makes these trucks special. These trucks had the right amount of technology in them which made them even more enjoyable. I am a techy sort of guy and think the new trucks kind over did it with the technology in them. :)

Last edited:

floater

Reaction score
Fantastic write up. I'm about to start my 98 Tahoe. You mentioned that white connector in the engine compartment. I can't disconnect that connector. Are you saying that I don't have to disconnect it? I just pull it into cab and disconnect the connectors that come off of it? Thanks

floater

Reaction score
Just did my dash swap on my 98 Tahoe two door. Easy peasy. Very simple to tackle after this great write up. Only issue was the dash i got came out of a truck with a 4.3 tbi. My 5.7 vortec had a different wiring harness. Easy to swap out harness as well from dash to dash.

etap_franklin

Reaction score
I purchased a dash from ebay complete with wiring harness and kept that harness intact instead of swapping it out with mine(may have been a mistake). I installed it in my truck this weekend. I reused my instrument panel to keep my odometer from changing. It fired right up immediately after install but the passlock system was triggered, therefore it shut off right after. I did the Passlock relearn procedure and the Security light no longer flashes but it still fires up and then cuts off. Any ideas?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the Passlock module in the dash from the donor vehicle? If so, that’s possibly the issue and you could try swapping your old one over.

Or try the relearn steps below.

Here’s some info on how the system works, maybe it will help:

You must be registered for see images attach