Dash Swap Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 yukon and I have a couple questions before I swap the dash. I'm looking at this 99 Tahoe. I'm going to be reusing my wire harness of course but I just want to make sure there isn't excessive differences between the years. The only thing ima be pulling from the 99 dash is the harness for the radio because mine is all hacked. Are all Tahoe-yukon-suburbans interchangeable? Also is there a way to remove the dash without having to remove the wiring with it?

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think it’d be a problem. The usual differences are when going between dashes with and without passenger airbags (the a/c duct is different).

The wiring harness is one big bundle and is clipped to the back of the dash. For me, it was easier to pull the dash with the harness intact but others have done it the other way. Here’s how I did mine, maybe it will help…

Edit: now is the time to address any issues with the a/c box (dampers, actuators, etc).

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think it’d be a problem. The usual differences are when going between dashes with and without passenger airbags (the a/c duct is different).

The wiring harness is one big bundle and is clipped to the back of the dash. For me, it was easier to pull the dash with the harness intact but others have done it the other way. Here’s how I did mine, maybe it will help…

Edit: now is the time to address any issues with the a/c box (dampers, actuators, etc).

I guess the biggest challenge is I don't want to remove the harness from the firewall. Also i dont own the tool to remove the harness from the firewall i believe its a torque bit.I've read a comment on this video of this one guy saying if you pull the steering colum out you can unclip all the wiring easy from the back of the dash.
Yes that actually another reason I'm doing the dash to change all the doors in my hvac. I believe gm still sells the upper and lower portion new with the doors

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A torx screwdriver set can be had for maybe $10 (?) if you go that route. GM does still sell the upper part of the box with the two dampers. I broke my original trying to get the damper off of the keyed “arm” thing. The lower damper is also available from GM - Rockauto sells it. New dampers make a nice difference since they tend to rot on the edges and no longer seal.

You must be registered for see images attach

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A torx screwdriver set can be had for maybe $10 (?) if you go that route. GM does still sell the upper part of the box with the two dampers. I broke my original trying to get the damper off of the keyed “arm” thing. The lower damper is also available from GM - Rockauto sells it. New dampers make a nice difference since they tend to rot on the edges and no longer seal.
I honestly just rather not mess with the wiring like that. Ima attempt to see if can do it by removing the steering column and pulling the harness off the back of the dash. Take as much as I can off. Than once I lean it forward I can remove the rest.. I'll post pics if I succeed going that route. Yeah I'm order them from gmpartsgiant they have em for cheaper. I'm pretty sure mine are wrecked

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I honestly just rather not mess with the wiring like that. Ima attempt to see if can do it by removing the steering column and pulling the harness off the back of the dash. Take as much as I can off. Than once I lean it forward I can remove the rest.. I'll post pics if I succeed going that route. Yeah I'm order them from gmpartsgiant they have em for cheaper. I'm pretty sure mine are wrecked
Buddy, I'd really recommend trying what east302 is saying. It's two screws with a funky head. There's no "messing with" the wiring, you're just loosening the screws to undo a plug.
You can't pull the harness out the back of the dash without a lot of heartache, and definitely not while it's in the truck. I did this job last month, and four times total by following his guide.

The harness is not on the firewall, unless the yukons are substantially different from the c/k trucks. The harness is trapped between the dash air ducts and the front of the dash.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 99 dash probably has a relay for heated mirrors un its wiring harness if thats something you want to add later on

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s a picture of that dash duct that covers the harness. The harness is bundled together in a plastic channel and clipped into the dash behind it. These old dashes flex a bit so the less time that it’s left pivoted down the better. There’s nothing supporting the area under the defrost vents.

The firewall harness isn’t bad to disconnect - just a few connectors and screws on the engine side and the convenience center panel pushes into the cab.

Do you have a link to that YouTube video that you mentioned? Kind of curious about how the guy did it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can you pull the dash while leaving the harness in place?

Sure.

Is it a bigger pain in the ass than it needs to be?

YEP.

Sometimes it's best to learn from others' experience.. seriously, a torx bit to disconnect the harness is a negligible expense. I'm surprised anybody wrenching doesn't already own a basic set; that's not the only torx screw you'll find when working on stuff.

Richard