Custom tune for 1999 K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Just had a p0420 code come on today. Is this the post cat o2's that are causing this? If so would it hurt to have them to tune those out and replace the cats later?

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
P0420 means your bank 1 converter is not doing its job good enough, most likely its starting to break apart. I had this code on my truck, well, p0430 for bank 2, and when I cut the pipe off after the converter I found a large chunk had broken off and was sitting sideways restricting much of the airflow. Not saying that happens in every case, but if you're going to get it tuned, its definitely worth considering gutting both converters. You can also tune out your EGR, Air pump if you have one, and Evap codes.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The cats I need would be 2.25" that are obd-II correct? Mine has factory cats now.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
P0420 means your bank 1 converter is not doing its job good enough, most likely its starting to break apart. I had this code on my truck, well, p0430 for bank 2, and when I cut the pipe off after the converter I found a large chunk had broken off and was sitting sideways restricting much of the airflow. Not saying that happens in every case, but if you're going to get it tuned, its definitely worth considering gutting both converters. You can also tune out your EGR, Air pump if you have one, and Evap codes.

Pigpen had the exact same problem, so maybe they do all fail like that lol.

Tie a piece of string around your pipe, mark it, divide by 3.14

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pigpen had the exact same problem, so maybe they do all fail like that lol.

Tie a piece of string around your pipe, mark it, divide by 3.14
Calipers come in handy too [emoji6]. Pipe measured 2" in front and behind cats. Also confirmed 2" on another thread.