Custom suspension for handling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hell Raiser

Reaction score
Looking to make a custom suspension setup for an extended cab so it can corner and run auto cross and at tracks using a straight rear axle to make it easier for me and what not being just 18 and jumping in on a project that I've wanted to do since I was 14 or 15

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick two and only two.

Whats your budget?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What Rich said.....
With that being said, a typical 2" spindle drop with a 2" drop spring, a 6" flip kit in the rear, a good set of shocks (I prefer KYB Gas-A-Just for the price/performance point) and urethane bushing on the sway bar will go a long ways toward a great handling extra-cab. In fact, the odds are it will handle better than your ability to drive it. Keep in mind that because of the long wheel base, youre never going to compete with a sports car, or even a short bed standard cab pickup on a typical autocross course-it just wont turn in and rotate as fast. But for bombing down twisty roads in the mountains, its a comfortable fast ride that will put a smile on your face-as long as you have the wheels and tires to hold you to the asphalt.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the truck has any real miles on it you can go ahead and factor in a full front suspension rebuild, because worn parts aren't going to do you any favors.

Replace bushings with polyurethane, use only top quality hard parts.

If you're feeling froggy you might consider replacing the upper control arms with available forged pieces from a 2500 or 3500. You'll need to redrill 2 holes on each arm to install 1500 ball joints. Are forged uppers necessary? Nah. Any real benefit? Hard to say, but GM engineers must have figured the stamped ones weren't strong enough for the load capacity a 2500/3500 needs, so the stamped units must have some give to them under extreme conditions.

Adding a rear anti-sway bar is a good idea as well. Several choices here; I kinda dig Hellwig. Had an AddCo and it was meh; hardware was cheesier and the install on a dropped truck left the end links at a severe angle, stressing the bushings and likely interfering with its proper operation.

Your drop parts need to be top notch, too. BellTech probably offers the best drop coils and flip kit. Cheaper coils may not have good or uniform spring rate. I don't know if DJM is still doing that adjustable pinion angle B.S. on their flip kit, but if they are, skip it and get the BellTech; that adjustable DJM stuff slips out of place.

Consider a quick ratio steering box. AGR is probably who you'd want to go with. Redhead makes them too but I've seen more than a few mentions of them lately that have me wondering about their quality and consistency.

Steering shaft has room for slop too; the joint at the top wears out, and the rag joint at the bottom sucks too. Borgeson makes a shaft with a needle bearing U-joint up top but unfortunately still has a rag joint at the bottom. Some like to use the Jeep Cherokee shaft because it has a solid rubber dampener up top and needle bearing U-joint at the bottom, but I had one of these and my headers destroyed the rubber causing the shaft to have nearly 1/2" of rotational slop, not cool. I replaced it with the Borgeson.

And maybe, just maybe, before spending all this money and doing all this work...you'll spend a few bucks on a suspension theory book or two, and soak it all in. A lot of the stuff we do (myself included) is based on what we THINK might be an improvement, but once you really start pushing it, you may find out you made some poor choices. Go too crazy with the sway bars and you'll lift the tire at the opposite side in hard cornering. Dick around with the track width front/rear (including your wheel width and offset choices) and you affect oversteer/understeer. Etc.

For what it's worth, I've done all the above stuff to my truck except the forged arms and quick ratio box - and the box is on my short list of stuff I plan to do eventually. I do enjoy driving my truck like a po boy's Corvette. :gr_grin:

Richard

93 Jay 2wd

Reaction score
I've done djm 2inch drop spindles w/ 1 inch crown springs, djm flip kit with the adjustable pinion and kyb shocks on all four corners. Belltech front sway bar, handles nice just wish I didn't do djm flip kit , will probly change it out soon.
Brakes I did sbcc big bite rotors and ceramic pads stops pretty good.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DJM flip is no different than any others. Ive had a DJM and Belltech and either was just as strong as the other.

93 Jay 2wd

Reaction score
DJM flip is no different than any others. Ive had a DJM and Belltech and either was just as strong as the other.

Ya I'm not saying the strength is different , just the adjustable pinion angle I'm not liking ,is the only reason I'm gna get a different one

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
****** crickets in here man. Jeez. Makes me want my minutes back that I spent typing that response. :gr_grin:

Richard

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
****** crickets in here man. Jeez. Makes me want my minutes back that I spent typing that response. :gr_grin:

Richard

No one appreciates a good response anymore! Everything you said hit the nail on the head. I definitely agree with everything you said, and wish this was posted years ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's stuff I wish I knew when I was 18. We didn't have intarwebs back then as I'm old or something. When I was 20(?) I had a '61 Apache 10 (one of many) that was nice and low, but it was done by cranking down the front torsion bars, and pulling the rear coils down with hooks made for that cheapass purpose. :gr_grin: As you might imagine it looked good but rode like garbage! A couple years later I had a '54 Chevy 210 2-door with front coils cut, and a pile of leafs pulled out of either rear pack. It dragged the tailpipe on driveways, sucker was low. Looked great. Rode marginally better than the truck but the rear had no travel at all, constantly on the bump stops.

I've progressed a little since then. :gr_grin:

Richard