Custom door hinge bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have a sort of hook up at a machine shop. I asked the guy to copy the door hinge bushing, but instead of making them out of the bronze or whatever they are, I wanted them made out of aluminum. he is still in the process of making them.

the reason I want them this way is because ive had problems out of the factry style bushings. I didn't want something made of steel or anything. I wanted something with a softer than steel and less brittle than what the typical replacement is.

any thoughts? im going to give them a try anyway. ive replaced these bushing countless times. im sick of it. I love my truck, but ive gotten rid of vehicles for less than that.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not even going to lie, it might be the way I install them. im not a body man by no means. I can paint and prep. but when it comes to hinges and trying to get things lined up... yeah that's a no go.

im just overall sick of it.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I would suggest aluminum bronze... we make bushings for all sorts of hydraulic cylinders out of it, it wears well, they would probably outlast the truck.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want my door to open and close directly. ive been going without an inner door handle for almost a year now.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Buying the bushings from GM, being sure your door hinges aren't worn at the holes where the end of the hinge pin has an interference fit (no bushing), replacing a damaged detent roller with a GM piece if it's bad (or simply eliminating it), latch in good shape or replace, striker in good shape or replace, door and striker adjusted properly, actuator rod from handle to latch not stretched out (the kinks in it un-bend and make it too long to operate properly), inner handle not cracked or broken (1995-up), and rarely seen but happens - door shell not cracked near the hinges...

Then your doors should operate correctly.

Skipping any of the details will lead to a less-than-ideal outcome, as will expecting magic bushings to solve the other potential problems.

Richard

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying the bushings from GM, being sure your door hinges aren't worn at the holes where the end of the hinge pin has an interference fit (no bushing), replacing a damaged detent roller with a GM piece if it's bad (or simply eliminating it), latch in good shape or replace, striker in good shape or replace, door and striker adjusted properly, actuator rod from handle to latch not stretched out (the kinks in it un-bend and make it too long to operate properly), inner handle not cracked or broken (1995-up), and rarely seen but happens - door shell not cracked near the hinges...

Then your doors should operate correctly.

Skipping any of the details will lead to a less-than-ideal outcome, as will expecting magic bushings to solve the other potential problems.

Richard

I don't expect anything magical. trust me. I don't have a place to just tear down my truck. otherwise everything would be replaced. I also don't have the money to purchase everything. I have a new striker.

if this don't work then ill have to deal with it until I get some bills paid off then have someone else do it. Ive got the mechanical part down. few years of teaching auto and some certs under my belt. but body work is not my forte ha ha.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya, but it seems like having custom bushings made is an attempt at solving a problem that doesn't exist. The problem isn't the bushing quality. The problem is an incomplete repair.

Richard

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya, but it seems like having custom bushings made is an attempt at solving a problem that doesn't exist. The problem isn't the bushing quality. The problem is an incomplete repair.

Richard

I do agree with you there. I guess im aiming toward a super glued band aid fix. eventually when the wife and I buy a house with a yard and possibly shop, I plan to do an almost complete tear down for some well needed cleaning and repairs.