cranking torsion keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fleischmann95

Reaction score
HI guys i have a 88 silverado with 3 inch blocks and torsion keys i bought recently and the front tires (35s) are rubbing a bit on the bumper and the plastic cover for underneath the bumper, sure i could cut them a bit, when under the truck i noticed the bolts for the keys are unscrewed quit a bit, what are the effects if i decide to crank them all the way?

jcloud

BaLlIn On A BuDgEt
Reaction score
If you crank all the way...im sure it will ride like crap, second of all you will wear out ball joints, and CV axles faster

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Cranking the torsion bars up all the way and stuffing a big tire under there is the worst thing possible for a stock IFS. I cranked mine 1.5 inches, just to keep up with the 2" block in the rear, get a body lift. I have a 3" body lift along with a 2" block lift (no aftermarket keys, they are a waste of money). I still don't want to put 35's on there.

35's will kill your gas mileage, if you have stock gears (3.42s or 3.73s) and that 10 bolt you probably have in the back of your truck.

IMO, try a 3" Body lift, 2" blocks (you can keep stock shocks in the back), crank the front about 4.5-5 turns, depending on your bars, being an 88, probably more.

Get 305/70r(whatever wheel size) those are 33.4s, 12.5 inches wide, put them on an 8-9 inch wide wheel.

That's about the best setup for someone your age who probably doesn't make a lot of money yet.

fleischmann95

Reaction score
ya thanks i have a job so its not a huge deal and thanks for the reply i cant believe you guys got back to me already the truck has 3 blocks and idk what leveling torsion keys are in the front, defiantly not stock. i have been debating going body lift or not, i hear its not that bad to install. ill include some pics of truck, yes i know its ruff but for 500 i couldn't argue
http://us.mg4.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1_3835_1427_ADKliGIAARNXTjsoOQHlJSV0YQQ&pid=1&fid=%2540B%2540Bulk&inline=1

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how are you sure they aint stock? the stock keys are more then capable of getting your 2-3 inches of lift IF the bars aint sagging, keys are only good on fords maybe and 99 and up trucks not the gmt400 style they do nothing.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not just trim the bumper and valanceif its only a $500 truck? Your truck will hate life if you crank the bars all the way. Replacing frontend parts grows old fast.
Without trimming a 3" bodylift is best and cheapest option.
Like swims said the stock keys will crank to the bump stops so no need for aftermarket keys.

fleischmann95

Reaction score
ya the guy i bought it from said they were aftermarket leveling keys i think i will go with a 3 inch body lift. but you guys are saying i shouldent mess with the keys or should i adjust them af few cranks? heres a better pic of front of truck

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

fleischmann95

Reaction score
sorry i hate computers... i got it uploaded to profile just trying to figure out how to do that in posts.

Last edited: