Coolant filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone thought about or done a coolant filter on one of our trucks? What the pros & cons?
Done I switched to regular coolant I keep getting that nasty brown sledge in my coolant. I try to flush it but it keeps coming back. So I was kinda intrigued. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks!

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How long it does it take for that sludge to accumulate in your coolant? It sounds like you may have a leak thats letting contaminated junk get in your coolant. Does the truck ever overheat? I'm wondering if you're getting combustion byproducts in your system.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's your intake gasket leaking if your'e losing coolant too.. Been there .

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope never overheats. Just builds up over like 6 months to a year. Nothing major. It’s not a lot just noticeable. Intake gaskets are fine. I’ve been there too.

Jbigbee7

Reaction score
I’ve found a cleanable, in-line filter on JEGS for $62. I’m going to give it a try. I’ve had the same problem with build up in the coolant. I assumed it was from the intake gaskets so I replaced them about a year ago and flushed the system multiple times, replacing the dexcool with green prestone. Coolant has always looked ****** since I’ve owned the truck, but never had problems with overheating until more recently. I replaced a leaking heater core a few months back and I’m currently in the process of replacing the radiator and all hoses along with other preventative maintenance stuff. Head gaskets checked out. Compression reads within 5 psi of 170 at each bank and holds, which surprised me. Any help would be appreciated! I’ll report back how the filter works.