Complete Gen 4 LS into GMT400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sledog

Reaction score
I see a wealth of information on swapping a gen 3 411 based drivetrain into a GMT400 but little to none for the gen 4 LS with E38 ECM. Has anyone had success with integrating it so factory gauges will work? I'm thinking of putting a 6.2, 6L80E and wiring from a 2011 1/2 ton 2wd into a 98 1/2 ton 2wd. I know you can do standalone wiring, but was wondering about gauges. TIA

Pruiter

Reaction score
I am doing a simular swap. How are you making out? I need some help wiring the AC.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see a wealth of information on swapping a gen 3 411 based drivetrain into a GMT400 but little to none for the gen 4 LS with E38 ECM. Has anyone had success with integrating it so factory gauges will work? I'm thinking of putting a 6.2, 6L80E and wiring from a 2011 1/2 ton 2wd into a 98 1/2 ton 2wd. I know you can do standalone wiring, but was wondering about gauges. TIA

I'm not sure, but I think both @yevgenievich and @L31MaxExpress have swapped in E38 ECM's on their vehicles.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am running e38 ecu integrated with stock harness. The only exception that has not been tested yet is the abs. I have a front sensor that needs to be adjusted before trying to connect abs system back. But from what I have researched, one way is to use 95 drac board to generate needed signal or try to use signal from e38 ecu. Problem with signal from e38 ecu is that the output is only enabled on specific OS versions. GMT400 are still relatively separated on the gauges, so it is just few wires spliced in the harness. For AC, there is either buying a module that will send a message to ecu on the gm lan bus or wire it as a stand alone based on pressure switches.

Last edited:

trackster12

Reaction score
I did stand alone on my LS 5.3 swap and it was great this summer. No issues at all. I was concerned about the idle when the clutch cycled but it never came close to stalling, I'm running a stock cam.