Coming Along Nicely

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
This is my first post on my swap, but here's day 1 and day 10 (today, with only about 5 hours a day to work on it). Anyone who is curious about doing an L29 swap, it's not difficult. Well, it won't be after you learn from my mistakes haha
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
**** yeah man she's looking great! Adding any performance goodies while you're at it?

12551622 502 Mag Mercruiser cam, 24lb LS1 injectors, Kooks shorty stainless steel headers, 0411 PCM tuned by Bl@ckBear, and a few odds and ends (EGR and AIR delete, etc). Won't be no dragstrip burner but she'll still move

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interested in the details. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my truck sometime.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Very interested in the details. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my truck sometime.

Any questions just ask. I'm all for bragging :cheers:

My biggest piece of advice is gather all of your parts first

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm mainly interested in what wiring changes you had to make on the engine side an if you just used an L31 pinout sheet for the 411 swap.

The rest is just R an R from what I've read. Any tips you've got I'm all ears. My truck is my daily so I'll more than likely be trying to complete the swap in a long weekend.

This all hinges on this engine I've found not selling before I get the money together to. If it does I'll just have to keep looking.

Edit: what transmission are you using to?

Last edited:

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Lextech has the pinout for the 454. I had the full setup, engine/trans/harness that I yanked from a running '98 Suburban. The only wiring changes I had to make is what the 0411 swap usually requires.

The biggest hangup was the headers, if you're just going to use manifolds then you don't have to worry about it. I wanted headers, but didn't want to dish out $450-$500 for the 454SS ones (which is what common sense dictated since it's a half ton, which is what I'm swapping into). I took a gamble on some Patriot Clippsters that were too good a deal to pass up (brand new ceramic coated for $100), I lost. The driver side cleared fine but the #4 tube wasn't anywhere near clearing the upper control arm mount on the passenger side. Then after a lot of research and running back and forth between my truck and computer (not to mention five days lost since most of what I needed to do revolved around getting the headers installed), I found these -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130863925466?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The tubes on the passenger side are rotated around so that #2 and #4 are straight back, which is perfect. Needed a little modification on the truck side, but nothing major. I had to trim a little off the top rear corner of the driver side motor mount (block mount) and remove the knock sensor heat shield (deleting knock sensors anyways). Then had to lob off the ear of the transmission (all it does is hold a bolt for the flexplate shield) on the passenger side and trim a little off of the top corner of the control arm mount to now clear the #6 tube (only about 1/4", also gives it enough room to rock), but nowhere near as bad as the Patriots were.

Also found today that the plugs under the passenger side of the dash on my '96 are different than the '98 harness I installed. Same wires, different plugs. Guess I'm heading to the junkyard tomorrow to hunt down a body side harness.

I'll have more pics soon, just busy with the truck right now.