Clutch Fan won't disengage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'd be more than that if the bearing locked-up. Even when the clutch is fully-engaged, there's still some amount of slippage especially at higher RPM.
There is not much slippage when the PWM circuit is 100% ON because it is directly getting +12 VDC. My clutch is electronic and activated by the PCM. Electric puller is on Fan 1. Clutch is on Fan 2. When it is disengaged a rolled up piece of news paper will stop it. When it is engaged you would loose your fingers.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my now wife bought her '99 Jimmy the water pump began leaking within 2 weeks. The dealership used a shop to "30 day warrantee" the truck.
The shop used an air hammer with a chisel bit to rattle/damage all 6 sides to remove the fan. And that made me damn mad when I checked their work.
After my complaint, the shop installed the cheapest, bargain bin thermal clutch. That thing operated like a parachute, which O.P. was dealing with 6 years ago.

Point is: install an properly priced non-thermal fan clutch and it'll return to factory operation.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my now wife bought her '99 Jimmy the water pump began leaking within 2 weeks. The dealership used a shop to "30 day warrantee" the truck.
The shop used an air hammer with a chisel bit to rattle/damage all 6 sides to remove the fan. And that made me damn mad when I checked their work.
After my complaint, the shop installed the cheapest, bargain bin thermal clutch. That thing operated like a parachute, which O.P. was dealing with 6 years ago.

Point is: install an properly priced non-thermal fan clutch and it'll return to factory operation.
Thermal fan clutch is OE. Non thermal is asking for overheating and poorly functioning ac.