Clutch Fan won't disengage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 1996 Chevy k1500 5.0 with the nv3500 transmission, I noticed my clutch fan wouldn't disengage and is spinning at rpm speed. So I went to advanced and picked up a new one. Put it on and it still won't disengage. Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be? Any feedback helps. I've read around maybe they sold me a bad one? But I'm not entirely sure about that.. Thanks for the help guys

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
It never stops spinning, so was it really at RPM, or just whipping around?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It really corresponds to the RPM of the engine. The higher the rpms the faster that fan spins.
That is normal. When you shut it off it should spin somewhat freely. When it is hot and you shut it off it should be difficult to turn. It will sound like a jet engine at idle if it is locked up.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
That is normal. When you shut it off it should spin somewhat freely. When it is hot and you shut it off it should be difficult to turn. It will sound like a jet engine at idle if it is locked up.

This, the viscous goo doesn't let it stop.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's spinning with the engine. The engine runs fine but I've never had this happen. I also replaced my thermostat. Still spinning with the RPMs. It doesn't run well like that either. If I took my truck to 5,000 rpms that fan is trying to spin @ 5,000rpms. I think advanced auto sold me a junk one.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AS Skylark says, if you can spin it by hand when the engine is shut off, it is probably ok. Should be harder to spin when it is hot, than when it is cold. Test it and see if you really have a bad one.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
AS Skylark says, if you can spin it by hand when the engine is shut off, it is probably ok. Should be harder to spin when it is hot, than when it is cold. Test it and see if you really have a bad one.
Havent been back home yet to test if its bad. But this thing spins ALL the time with the engine. No matter how fast or how slow how warm or cold the truck is it will sping with the RPMs. I cold start my truck and the fan is spinning, then i rev it to 3k rpm and the fan spins, i rev it to 5k rpm and the fan spins just as fast as the motor. Ive noticed power loss from this and Im pretty sure that fan shouldnt be spinning like that. Its never happened before.